Freebore excess in Weatherby rifles chambered in non-Weatherby rounds?

Yorkplates

How would the freebore in my Weatherby Accumark 300 Win. Mag. compare to any other factory 300 Win. Mag.? Is the excess freebore found in all the Weatherby rifles or just those chambered in Weatherby Magnum cartridges?

Only the real Weatherby calibers have the extra freebore as part of their spec. All chambers in Weatherby rifles are cut to industry standards.

Hired gun is right , I've seen a couple Weatherby's that were chambered for standard rounds and their throats were cut normal length.
Part of weatherby mags get their extra velocity is from the freebore , the bullet is almost free from the case before it hits any resistance.

Those deep freebore WBY Calibered rifles can't shoot those boat tail bullets by Serria either. They make a group 12" at 200 yds. They have to shoot the flat base bullets. Serria told me that.

Re: Freebore excess in Weatherby rifles chambered in non-Weatherby rou

My 300 Wby Accumark has approximately .425 inch freebore and shoots sub-MOA out to 400 yards. It likes 200 grain SMK which are boattail. Beyond that I need more practice before I can say for sure.

For what it is worth.............

Once this
300accumark0017vx.jpg

is doing this
257wbytargets003resized3sw.jpg

Then I just go shoot stuff. This particular group is with 75 grain V-Max's at near 4000fps. These little ones have a slight boat tail to them. I have never measured any long range groups but last time out there were not any varmints so we brought along a bunch of 16 ounce water bottles. Once I got the wind dialed for the 450 yards, I just mowed them down at will. Don't forget to remove .257 from the caliper reading to get the actual group size. Both my 257's shoot like this. I have found the freebore to mean nothing except good things.

I'm glad you guys are pleased with the performance of your Weatherbys. I really like mine. The big MK V action in the Accumark configuration is very appealing to me. One of my all-time favorites. I wanted a 30 cal with more horses than the 30-06 and wasn't ready for another Weatherby mag. (I used to have a 30-378). I was tickled to death when I discovered that Weatherby offered the 300 Win in their Accumark. I'm going after a 30-06 in the Accumark when it comes up in the batting order. It's three or four back.

The Super Varmintmaster single-shot I have in 22-250 is mind blowing in the accuracy column. I don't have high-tech, expensive bench equipment and use modest, fixed-powered scopes and it shoots really tight groups.

I wish some of the gunsmiths appreciated the MK V more, but having so little knowledge of gunsmithing, I can hardly be critical. I will quickly concede that there are better platforms on which to build custom rifles, but you could never get me to doubt the quality of the parts and strength of the Mark V's design.

Hired Gun, when I start handloading this 300 Win, I want groups like that with some 165gr or 180gr Accubonds! Very impressive!!

Clay

Easy on him Bob he's from Alabama!!!You don't have to see WBY on a free bore barrell for it to shoot a tight group, I have a couple of Pac?Nor's that will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That was a little sharp wasn't it. it wasn't for OCC but either way I usually dont punch the button to submit the ones like that. My apologies to everybody.

Just teasing Bob and agreeing with you, I have seen several free bore rifles that were tack drivers my friends own most of them! : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I didn't take it as anything ugly. I know Bob is still an Alabama boy at heart. That was probably some of that nasty "Crimson Tide" coming out of him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.