300 weatherby freebore and heavy bergers?

shawnb

Hey all, thinking about trading my rifle off on a 300Wby mark v accumark and wondering if there is to much freebore for a 210, 215, or 230 berger. Im leaning toward the 230's but could they be seated far enough out to touch the lands? If thats where the sweet spot was of course.

And id anyone has any experience with this setup any knowledge would be great.

Thanks.

I haven't got my hands on the 230's yet but the 210 and 215's shoot extremely well at magazine length (3.560). You may not be able to reach the lands and keep the bullet in the neck.
Cliff

In my experience Bergers do not like touching the lands. I load the 210 Bergers for my Accumark seated to 3.700" to feed from the magazine. Same as I do the Accubonds. Under 1/2 MOA at 100.

I have found the "freebore" of my Weatherby's to be a non issue.

Thanks guys. Ya the rifles ive loaded bergers for none have been jammed or even touching and they shoot great. I just wasnt sure because you never know. On their website the 300 has .361 for freebore. I know its long just not sure if people have had issues with it or what a typical amount of freebore would be. Can i ask what loads you are shooting and velocities?

Thanks again

I have shot the 210's and 230's from 30-378's as well as the 210's in 300's.

Not problems. But I doubt you will be able to reach the lands.

A 30-378 with a 230 has some impressive ballistics.

I usually use H1000, but a slower burn rate might be worth a try too.

Jeff

Thanks again. Im going to try and get it i think. And im not sure of load data but ive got tons of h1000, fed215m's, and will start looking for 230 bergs. I hope i can get around 2900 safely. And probably a muzzle brake haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.