Free Floating Question

grinnergetter

I working on a stock Rem. XCR. The stock has at the end of the barrel 2 contact (what i would call nubs). No dollar bill or anything else is getting between this particular barrel and its stock. I'm thinking to remove the nubs but i'm also thinking it may cause more contact problems that i already have. Just wanted a little advise before I start carving on this stock.
We are not looking to restock the rifle just get what we can out of it.

Thanks for your advise, Grin

grinnergetter,

I've never worked with that stock. I hate those pressure points and I always free float the barrel. There has been a couple of times that the rifle shoots better with the pressure points though. I let's hope someone comes to the rescue! :)

As far as I can tell, the XCR stock is identical to the SPS stocks except for the rubber inserts.

I've floated the barrels on 2 SPS rifles, both shot more consistently afterwards, although they did flex a bit more - the contact with the barrel was making them stiffer. Incidentally replacing the stock with a properly bedded laminate or composite stock shrinks the groups substantially as well as improving feel and shootability, no more forend flex.

I've worked on a few XCR's and have ground the nubs down so that a index card will slide freely. You may find that once they are ground down the barrel may touch one of the sides of the barrel channel and the barrel channel may need some work to make the whole barrel free floated. You will find too that you'll have more flex in the stock as mentiond above and may have to leave yourself plenty of clearance to allow for this. A new stock properly bedded would make a world of difference.

I later realized i had another stock from my own rifle. Good donor to experiment with. Just got done sanding and we will see what happens Wed.

I will let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.