Need advise with free floating Rem 700

Millet

Hello, I've read that by free floating a barrel can improve accuracy some. I have a older Rem 700 Adl with a walnut stock. I tried sliding pc. of paper between stock and barrel but is is tight. I accually took the stock off and the coating of the barrel was worn off in some places. Can I do this myself or is it better to get a gunsmith? Any advise greatly appreciated! Thanks

A big part of my everyday jobs are bedding stocks (free floating kinda goes along with that). You can do the job yourself, but I would recommend buying a Brownell's Acraglas Gel kit and bed the action at the same time. It comes with good, illustrated instructions. Simply removing wood from under the barrel will add more stress under the action, so the glas bedding with strengthen as well as increase accuracy. If you dont feel 100% confident, take it to a real gunsmith. My prices, as well as others I know around here are very reasonable for that work. Good luck!

There are no absolutes when it comes to forearm pressure. It can take any form, from too much, to not enough, to not needed. Some sporter weight barrels respond well to some forearm pressure, provided the pressure is 'not too much'. Forearm pressure effects barrel harmonics, so, too little my not dampen harmonics enough to be able to see much difference, where as too much may make the barrel walk as it heats. I never expect a sporter weight barrel to shoot more than a 3 shot group. After all, it wasn't intended to be a "target" rifle. Most factory wood Remington 700 stocks have too much pressure. Remove a little at a time and look for changes in group consistency. You may find a "happy" spot. The pressure point should be right behind the tip 'wood'. The barrel should not touch the barrel channel from there to the action. Pillar & glass bedding can't hurt, as long as done properly.

Millet, if you have never bedded a stock check You Tube for some how to video on the subject. There are some great articles here at LRH also. Don't for get release agent and tape. Good luck

There's a great tutorial over at 6mmbr.com on how to do this.

He and I both use Devcon 10110 steel filled epoxy. Works easy and forms great . Be sure to clearance the barrel first (both sand and space).

Good luck, post pics.

Larry
Tinkerer

Hi guys....I'm back again:) I just ordered a Agra-glass gel kit and should come the end on this week. I'm doing a lot of research on this as I want to make sure I do it right. Just wondering what u guys think of aluminum pillar blocks. Is that beneficial for the money or will I be just as good off just glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel. I was looking at the pillar block kits online and thought I could maybe machine some myself. Let me know what u guys think. I'm open for ideas!! Really looking forward to doing this project!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.