Free Floating Remington Barrels

7stwnut

I have a Remington 700 CDL with a fluted barrel and while installing a Jewel trigger I noticed there is a section of the stock at the very end which puts pressure on the barrel. Does this pressure pad need to remain? I purchased a composite stock and it has the same pressure point pad, not sure if it is better to float the barrel or leave the pad. Any feedbackk would be appreciated.
7stwnut

pressure pads.... some times good.... some times bad..... for a lite hunting rifle.... I like`m..... for a gun being shot off a rest.... not so good..... I have added and taken out pressure pads according to how the gun shoots.
OMHO
mileage may vary
Bill Larson

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I suppose it would be best to leave the stock as is and see how it shoots. The caliber is 257 Wby, the barrel is slender and fluted, might do better with a little pressure.
Rick

On my "pack" rifle, which has a fairly slender barrel, I found it shot about the same off the bench after floating it (A remmy 700, with laminate stock). From the bipod, I found that floating the barrel really helped (as stated above). Before I floated the barrel, the groups were much larger from the bipod, which makes sense when you think about having the pressure point. After I floated the barrel, I found the groups from the bipod and those from the bench were about the same.

You can always add back in the pressure point if needed. I also found that after floating the barrel, the rifle tends to hold its zero better.

I have the same rifle only in 264 Win Mag. It shot quite well with the factory stock ( 3/4-1 inch groups @ 100 yards). I bought an HS Precision sporter stock which free floats the barrel and it tightened up my groups by another 1/4 of an inch or so. That thin fluted barrel seems to do okay floated, at least it did in my rifle FWIW.

Guys, thanks for the info. What a dilemma, to float or not to float! Stay tuned for the final verdict and results.
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.