Frangible vs pass through

Which bullet type do you prefer

• Frangible

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Pass through

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

Keystone7mm

I don't want to create a heated debate with this post, but I would like to understand different lines of thinking.

There are A LOT of great bullet options available in the market. Thank God that we have options, especially in the current market. Not looking for anyone to change eachothers minds. Shoot what you like, and what works for you. I'm absolutely cool with that.

What I'm after is whether you prefer frangible bullets (BTHP, match or BT designs), or pass through bullets (monoliths, A-frames, Partitions, bonded bullets, etc.), and why? What is the reasoning for your choice, or why are you opposed to the opposite choice. I (personally) respect everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I know and hunt with people from both parties. I've seen a lot of critters put down by both types of bullets. I've also seen marginal shots result in lost or late recovery of animals from both designs.

I prefer frangible designs myself. I shoot 150 grain Nosler BT's out of my 30-06, 87 grain BTHP's out of my 243, 52 grain CC's out of my 220 Swift, and am searching for a new load out of my 7mm Rem Mag currently (used to shoot 168 gran Berger VLD hunting bullets out of it).

There are two reasons I prefer the frangible bullets personally. First, they expend all, or nearly all of the bullets energy on a critter. Second, if I make a marginal shot (which has seldom but occasionally happened) the bullet fragments tend to hit something vital and the animal is recovered. I will also admit that some meat loss is a drawback.

What do you guys choose, and why? No right and wrong, I'm just truly interested.

I agree with fragmenting bullets and how they can help make up for a poor shot. But yes can come with some meat loss. But to me, putting an animal down fast and quick is more important than the meat. I'd rather a bullet waste some meat and kill fast versus put a pencil hole through and save some meat. But sometimes fragmenting bullets can blow up or not penetrate as well as a bonded bullet so you have to take that into account. I haven't experienced it first hand but lots of people have. I use both. Fragmenting and bonded bullets. Bonded for heavier, thicker skinned game. Fragmenting for everything else.

I agree with fragmenting bullets and how they can help make up for a poor shot. But yes can come with some meat loss. But to me, putting an animal down fast and quick is more important than the meat. I'd rather a bullet waste some meat and kill fast versus put a pencil hole through and save some meat. But sometimes fragmenting bullets can blow up or not penetrate as well as a bonded bullet so you have to take that into account. I haven't experienced it first hand but lots of people have. I use both. Fragmenting and bonded bullets. Bonded for heavier, thicker skinned game. Fragmenting for everything else.
I probably should have mentioned that I am in Nebraska, and I've never had the opportunity to hunt anything other than Mule deer, Whitetail, Antelope, and varmints. So, I guess those animals are what I'm posting about.

I'm not sure if we can do a search on posts made by individuals on this forum…….if so, I've made my position very clear and why more times than I can count!. I won't respond with one of my long diatribes! 😁

For hunting bullets (rifle or handgun) I want a pass-through on any game animal in NA …..from any angle!

If it is a defensive handgun…..it depends upon the expected scenario that the handgun will be used in. However, generally it will be a heavy for caliber expanding bullet, which should give deep penetration and a possible exit…..though the exit would not be preferred in an environment of innocent bystanders! memtb

I'm not partial to any one bullet design or mode of incapacitation. They all have pros and cons.

What's worked great on whitetail has been frangible (and here we simply mean a bullet that comes apart and causes violent wounding via fragmentation) bullets THAT STILL EXIT.

The 225 grain eld match out of my .300 win is overkill for sure but it beats the alternative and it puts them down either right there or within 30 yards of running depending on shot placement. Massive damage. The 225 has a bigger tip and thus bigger hollow point below than the 208. It opens up immediately but still has enough sheer mass that even on shoulder or spine hits it exited, and very dramatically. I find it very hard to beat it. That being said I wouldn't opt to take a quartering shot, especially at close range, on critters larger than deer. For that kind of thing the federal trophy bonded tip and terminal ascent bullets get the nod.

Frangible -- means fragile, brittle. I have hunted quite a bit with Sierra, Hornady SST, Nosler BT and I would definitely say they are not frangible. The do mushroom easily and wear down, sometimes loosing their copper jackets, but brittle? No. You do not want to ever hunt with a brittle and fragile bullet because they just wont penetrate far enough to kill quickly. Shooting silhouette with more experienced competitors and they tell me some bullets when hitting the steel are so brittle that they splatter dissipating all their energy and wont knock mover the target.

I don't want to create a heated debate with this post, but I would like to understand different lines of thinking.

There are A LOT of great bullet options available in the market. Thank God that we have options, especially in the current market. Not looking for anyone to change eachothers minds. Shoot what you like, and what works for you. I'm absolutely cool with that.

What I'm after is whether you prefer frangible bullets (BTHP, match or BT designs), or pass through bullets (monoliths, A-frames, Partitions, bonded bullets, etc.), and why? What is the reasoning for your choice, or why are you opposed to the opposite choice. I (personally) respect everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I know and hunt with people from both parties. I've seen a lot of critters put down by both types of bullets. I've also seen marginal shots result in lost or late recovery of animals from both designs.

I prefer frangible designs myself. I shoot 150 grain Nosler BT's out of my 30-06, 87 grain BTHP's out of my 243, 52 grain CC's out of my 220 Swift, and am searching for a new load out of my 7mm Rem Mag currently (used to shoot 168 gran Berger VLD hunting bullets out of it).

There are two reasons I prefer the frangible bullets personally. First, they expend all, or nearly all of the bullets energy on a critter. Second, if I make a marginal shot (which has seldom but occasionally happened) the bullet fragments tend to hit something vital and the animal is recovered. I will also admit that some meat loss is a drawback.

What do you guys choose, and why? No right and wrong, I'm just truly interested.
I voted for frangible. Check similar threads below (by WR).

In most instances this is a blonde vs brunette type thing. Unless you are hunting big tough stuff like dangerous game both will probably get the job done. I've used both and typically default to monos for hunting these days because I've had really good experiences with monos and accubonds and good experiences with more frangible bullets like Berger's too. I've just had more positive experiences with monos than cup and core.

First of all I think you are confusing what a frangible bullet is. I have those loaded in my "in house rounds" and some security services use them inside airplanes. The are designed not to go through walls and kill unintended victims.
But I think we all know what he's talking about here. Moreover "frangible" as a word unto itself simply means brittle, or prone to breaking into many fragments. But I do know what you're talking about, the Barnes varmint Grenades and MPG rifle rounds come to mind as do a number of sintered metal core pistol rounds. I don't think anyone is advocating we use those for big game hunting here.

But if we're being technical we could further clarify: controlled expansion with some degree of intended weight retention vs complete fragmentation as the intended outcome.

In my post above, the federal trophy bonded tip is a great example of the former, the hornady eld match is a great example of the latter. Both are extremely effective at killing.