Recoil follow through

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Joefrazell, Sep 22, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Joefrazell

Joefrazell Well-Known Member

So I here about how people are back on target after recoil if they have proper form. I'm never back on target after recoil with any of my rifles. I snug it into my shoulder and feel I have decent form but when the shot breaks I definitely don't go right back to where I started and typically have to reset my front and rear bag for every shot. Thoughts here? I shoot a 30-06, braked 300 win mag, 6.5 cm.both .30 Cal's have moderate recoil the 06 being the most. These are pretty light setups.

2. OG10

OG10 Member

Can you get someone to video you while shooting, cell phone video ? Light weight rifles off a bench are usually more difficult to shoot, especially heavy recoiling rifles.I shoot some 8 pound or less total weight rifles in 30-06, 300win and you have to be very consistent in your set up and recoil management.If you try to hard to eliminate all of the recoil it will have adverse effects you have to learn to absorb and control the recoil, without seeing what you are doing it is difficult to diagnose.

3. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine staying on target even though I love shooting my light magnums. I use Limbsavers on all of them, keep the rifle on target as I shoot as a primary, critical goal, then let the rifle jump into the pad. Staying on target is secondary at best and that's why I emphasize the importance of a spotter. Just my opinion.

4. OG10

OG10 Member

+1 on the limbsaver air tech recoil pad as CO_GUY said , gods gift to the light rifle shooter.

CO_Guy likes this.
  5. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

I have a seven pound rifle wildcat about like a .264 Win Mag. It has a brake and always went the same way under recoil. So I filed a tiny groove on the opposite side of the direction it went. I continued this until I could see my impact at 100 yards even if the scope was on 20X.

The problem I created was the direction was different when I went to off hand shooting. There I had to drill a small hole in the top of the brake. I increased the hole size until I could see my hits again while holding off hand.

OG10 and CO_Guy like this.
  6. 308stillbrass

308stillbrass SCAMMER

The idea is to maintain your aim until recoil subsides. From a muscularly relaxed position, griping the rifle only with enough pressure to control it, be sure to follow through. This manipulation will appoint a limit and pattern to recoil, which concludes having a better corollary to the shooter's inital perspective of aim.

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

IMO, there are a myriad of factors that come into play that effect seeing the bullet impact. Recoil/cartridge, velocity, rifle weight/configuration, muzzle brake, distance to target, shooting position, scope power, sight picture/field of view, and overall shooting form. Given the precise spotting of hits is an important factor, I’ll follow some basic practices:
    -use the heaviest rifle I can that does not pose a problem for the particular use.
    -use a good brake, and a cartridge/load that gets the job done with the least amount of recoil/muzzle flip. Overkill may have a penalty.
    -use the lowest scope power/greatest field of view sufficient to hit, but also optimize the ability to acquire the target/game in the sight picture. “Always” keep both eyes open and follow through.
    -if position is a choice, go prone. Regardless of position, make sure the shoulders are at a 90 degree angle to the barrel.-
    -practice, and learn the positions and distances to understand where spotting hits can or cannot be achieved with a particular rifle
    Just some thoughts.....

Wlfdg and Jeffrey Van Zandt like this.
  8. raider1v1

raider1v1 Well-Known Member

i lose sight picture if im over 6-8x on anything over a .243. i do get it back very quickly but im probably doing something wrong.

9. Jeffrey Van Zandt

Jeffrey Van Zandt Well-Known Member

most of it will be in your position if using bags ect off of a bench try a bipod, with a good center positions and load the bipod right and at long range you can see your bullet stryke even with a 300 wm or bigger cal. even on a 22 power scope

Wlfdg likes this.