For Those of You who Wear Costa Del Mar Frames...

Full Curl

Hoping folks on here can help. I recently purchased a pair of Costa Del Mar Jose frames with blue mirror 580 polycarbonate lenses. When they arrived I was surprised that the blue mirror finish on the lenses was not as bright as I thought it was going to be, more of a matte. I compared them to a bunch of images and videos online of the same Jose frames and all the ones I saw online sure seem to be much more "mirrored" and bright blue than the ones I was sent. Can anybody tell me if these appear to be "normal" or if I should be worried about being sent a non-authentic pair of frames? Or maybe do the real glass lenses have a more "mirrored" and bright blue finish on the lenses than the polycarbonate? Everything else with them appears authentic but I'm no expert. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• jose1.jpg
    jose1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 42
The dude in the pic has them on his face. You are holding yours up with back lighting--- can't really compare the 2 in different situations.

If you block the light from the rear like they are on your face and then use a light source from the front-- do they look more similar?

Did you buy yours from a reputable seller? Was the deal "too good to be true"? -- pay with ppff, venmo, or bit- coin?

I get what you're saying but even when I put mine on my face they look much more matte than the guy's in the photo. Even in direct bright sunshine. Seller was a third party vendor but I did research them and everything seemed on the up and up. I didn't pay suggested Costa retail, but did pay just over $100 so it was somewhat of a deal but by no means a "too good to be true" deal. They said they will gladly take them back for a full refund.

I think they look correct. Take a pic with a dark background also. I have a pair with the green lens and they are very "see through" with a light background. Love the glass lens' though. I can wear them when it's somewhat dark and still see, yet bright sunlight is a nonissue.

Attachments

• 5ACBD447-C858-4569-BEDA-3360F2488083.jpeg
    5ACBD447-C858-4569-BEDA-3360F2488083.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 48CC280A-4E98-4AD1-A9BC-5197739CBCAB.jpeg
    48CC280A-4E98-4AD1-A9BC-5197739CBCAB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Got any pics of the inside of the frame arms? They look legit from the image that we see. Costa mirror is a difficult thing to accurately photograph in my experience. Lighting and angle to the camera can play a HUGE difference.

I get what you're saying but even when I put mine on my face they look much more matte than the guy's in the photo. Even in direct bright sunshine. Seller was a third party vendor but I did research them and everything seemed on the up and up. I didn't pay suggested Costa retail, but did pay just over $100 so it was somewhat of a deal but by no means a "too good to be true" deal. They said they will gladly take them back for a full refund.
I didn't see this earlier. A little over a $100 sounds to good to be true from what I've seen and paid. This is my 2nd pair and both were North of $250. Hopefully I'm wrong on that and you did get a great deal. Again, as others have said, the Costa's aren't near as reflective as say Oakley's.

Yeah, they were around $115ish... hard to tell I guess. I'm sure there are some very good knock offs these days that are hard to detect. Retail on the Costa website is around $225 but you'll usually still pay less than that at dealer. I'll look into this more.

I have six pairs in different lens colors. One is blue. We will never be able to tell from a picture. I just took a couple pictures of mine and they look different from every angle. I only buy them with glass lenses now because they are significantly more scratch resistant. I have seen them on sale with polycarbonate lenses for $125 before including this spring so I wouldn't be too worried about that based on what you're seeing. I would look in the water that's what they are made for and you should be able to tell if they are really Costas.

Here's some more photos, one on a dark background and one on a light. Yeah, they are hard to get a good photo of for sure. I'm fairly confident they are legit Costas but just not what I expected. I'm going to try and check out some with glass lens if I can find some. I took a couple photos of them on my face and you could hardly tell they even had mirror lens. Thanks for all the feedback.

Attachments

• cos1.jpg
    cos1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
  • cos2.jpg
    cos2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
Here's some more photos, one on a dark background and one on a light. Yeah, they are hard to get a good photo of for sure. I'm fairly confident they are legit Costas but just not what I expected. I'm going to try and check out some with glass lens if I can find some. I took a couple photos of them on my face and you could hardly tell they even had mirror lens. Thanks for all the feedback.
Once you go glass, you'll never go back!