For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

How about a Savage 112 BVSS in 300WM! Can be found for around $700. Mount a decent scope and you may just be good to go. This one here of mine is straight from factory stock gun. Did a 50 round break in then shot a .85 5 shot group and the next weekend shot a .215 three shoot group!

308s010-1-1.jpg

P1050132.jpg

Good shooting,

BT Sniper

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

6.5x300- I am looking on Savage's website and cannot find that gun! I see the 12 BVSS in 300WSM but I do not see any model 12's in 300 win mag. Do they just not show it on their website?

Thanks! Great looking and shooting gun!

Thanks,

Savage just recently (within last couple years) made a limited production run of the 112 BVSS rifles. I found mine new on one of the gun auction sights. There still may be a few around but I doubt you will find any offered from factory at the moment.

I'm very pleased with the results. Difficult to shoot off hand but from a rest it is awesome.

BT

6.5x300- I am looking on Savage's website and cannot find that gun! I see the 12 BVSS in 300WSM but I do not see any model 12's in 300 win mag. Do they just not show it on their website?

Thanks! Great looking and shooting gun!

Savage has a custom service and should make you one, it won't be a 12 it will be a 112 (long action) you will need a dealer to call and get the price though as they will only quote retail to a non FFL. Call Savage and ask to speak to Effie, I believe her last name is Sullivan.

My current rig is a Howa 1500 Varmint supreme chambered in .308 winchester. It works great on deer and pigs to the extent I feel confident pulling the trigger. It also pulls double duty as a long range F class gun. Including optics and aftermarket stock I have just over $1,000.00 in it.

Very good Post

Let's remember...when the time for hunting is over " YOU " can always upgrade your existing barrel to a varminter or competition barrel. Hart , Shilen and so forth....around $ 350 outlay

Remington 700 CDL 7MM 08 with Shilen 24 " Barrel shooting 1000yds
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J4Hy1zfT7Y]1000 yd 7MM08 Movie.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Savage Model 12 cal 30-06 with Savage Heavy Barrel replacement shooting 1000 yds
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRxbOXVeC4U]1000 yd shooting 30-06 Savage Model 112VBSS - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• P1040753.jpg
    P1040753.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 97

Just to had my 2 cent.

Have been interest in long range shooting but was "price away".

Now im in the diretion on a shooting club near my home and have make some friend that shoot loong range. Especialy that have place to do so.

One got a hunting store and after talking with him i have but cash on a rifle.

It a(brand new) tika t3 varminer, set triger in 7mm rem, scope will be a elite 6500 with turell.

Will cost me a lil over 2500$ cnd. Ok could have been less with a use rifle but im getting New stuff. Im doing the break in and will have a class from my friend on how to do it right, both break in and long range shooting.

Plus have sold a rifle that i will not use any more so it bring the cost down.

It will be a 1000 yrd gun. So no need for more for now.

If im liking long range( wich i sur i will) by the time that rifle will be burn out i will have save the $$ to customise it.

Keeping the rifle for a base, adding a custom barell will be lot cheaper thant havig it custom all the way!!

I have a Remington model seven stainless steel chambered in 7mm saum. I traded a Remington 788 in 308 straight across for it. The guy did not reload and was sick of paying 40 bucks a box for ammo. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with my reloads. It is lightweight and has felt recoil of a 308. It is my first long range rig. I figure with the dies, brass, and a centerpoint scope i have under 850 dollars in it. It has been alot of fun but i would like to upgrade it to a better stock, unfortunatly noboby offers one.

I have a Remington model seven stainless steel chambered in 7mm saum. I traded a Remington 788 in 308 straight across for it. The guy did not reload and was sick of paying 40 bucks a box for ammo. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with my reloads. It is lightweight and has felt recoil of a 308. It is my first long range rig. I figure with the dies, brass, and a centerpoint scope i have under 850 dollars in it. It has been alot of fun but i would like to upgrade it to a better stock, unfortunatly noboby offers one.
Actually there are some out there to be had.

Classic Replacement Stocks for a Remington Rifles

StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Product List

StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Product List

The Seven hasn't been around long, but the longer they are, the more aftermarket gear will become available.

Model 7 is a nice little rifle to start with, and being a Remington you can do a lot with it in the future if you decide to upgrade.

Check Pawn shops you can pick up a donor rifle very reasonable .I found a savage110 in 7mmRem Mag for 275 and it shoot 1moa with my handloads. I have not done anything to the rifle besides putting a nikon buckmaster scope on it and a trigger job hope this helps someone

Bump because it's a great thread and we have some new people here looking for how/where to get started.

Good thread. Everyone I meet is intimidated by the money but I have still managed some converts....:D........... Still my best long range rifle: savage 116bgh 24" 338 win $490...... re-chamber to 338 edge $50.......muzzle brake $75.........choate tactical stock $200......harris bipod $100........... 4200 elite 6-24x50 $550.....elite 1500 lrf $300 Ammo$$$$oh ya...............5/16 group at 100 and the ability to put serious hurt on a 5" target over and over again at a thousand yards $PRICELESS$ ............ My first long range gun was an AK on steroids $640 and that little 4X scope that came with it had turrets and got me hooked. I have heavily modified that rifle but most people would be shocked at what the most basic tools are capable of with a little elbow grease and a whole bunch of trigger time..

SEE HOW MANY OF US GOT INTO LONG RANGE SHOOTING AT BARGAIN PRICES...

WANNA KNOW HOW WE KNEW " HOW TO ? "

WE STAYED OFF FACEBOOK AND TWITTERING IDIOTS - THATS WHY WE KNEW HOW TO !!!! lightbulb

Long Live Anarchy ( ANARCHY : DOWN WITH THE KING and then only the Nobles who took flight called the peasants " Anarchists " )

" If this be democracy , then I'd rather have anarchy ! " JC Hedj 1976 :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.