For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

My rifle was $450 when I bought it new, I have incrementally made it into a "custom" gun, last things to change are bolt knob, barrel and recoil lug. It's a good gun that I wat to work up to 600 yards for hunting and 1k for competition, when I get good enough, which could be a while. Found out it's really easy to go the build it piece by piece route and not feel too pinched.

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

Was looking around on the computer one day and found web site that offered entry level sniper/long range rifles in Rem and Howe actions starting price around $1000 -1200. offer several Cal up to 300u but no .338LM. snipercentral i believe. I was going to go that route then decided i would go to Pawn shop. found a Stevens 200 in .300wm with nikon 6x18x40sf mil-dot that i don't think weighed 6lbs with scope, wasn't quick enough to go get it next day. but did find a savage 12 in 22-250 varmint with nikon 6x18x40sf fine cross hair with dot (not crazy about scope but works for now.) Got the package for $740 out the door. After a year got a chance to play a little, after quick site in had my twin 10 yr old daughters picking off bowling pins at 140-150 yrds. oldest didn't get a chance to shoot. They have only shot .22Lr. wasn't sure how they would deal with it, they loved it so i got my first medium range rifle and the kids can enjoy it as well will upgrade as time goes on. Also have Win model 70 30-06 that mcgowen barrels can redo for about 580 out the door plus a savage model 10 in .308 i could redo. the options are endless. figured 22-250 good start then possibly 6br. There are some smoking deals in the classifieds I find myself looking there all the time There is a sweet .338edge with red b&C stock on it for 2500. As usual day late and dollars short.

just doing some reading. new to the sport. 7mm rum sendero stainless is my new rifle to begin with. vortex 6x 24x viper scope. gathering parts as we speak to get it all together. found a carlson stock varmit target 2096 to start with. have a good evening and this is a good read.gun)

Great thread that deserves to be a sticky!

Jay

Mine was a 700P in .308 that started out looking like this. I bought it used With a tall, nonswivel Harris and a Simmons. I replaced the Simmons with a Super Sniper, and eventually with a Leupold. I still shoot a couple Super Snipers.

8point1.jpg

308rifle.jpg

Over the course of time it transformed into this. I shot the barrel out and had a Broughton installed, put a DBM in to help in matches, and had the stock dipped to get rid of the old, well beaten krylon. Shot great before and after the mods. I finally sold it earlier this year to buy machine equipment, and now I can build my own rifles.

550844F1-D561-4DB2-B77E-41C3277D9AC1-6979-000005F06540A726.jpg

Very nice. I'm in the process of finishing up a project gun right now that I call my "Frankengun".

A bit here, a piece there, a used but heavily modified PSS stock.

Hopefully after all this work it will shoot well.

Very nice. I'm in the process of finishing up a project gun right now that I call my "Frankengun".

I can relate. My long range rig consists of a 20+ year old Rem 700 ADL action. Originally in .270. Bought a magnum face bolt off someone on here then later a 7mm Rem Mag takeoff also from someone on here. Swapped the firing pin out of the old bolt in to the new and slapped a Nikon 4-16X50SF Monarch on it. Just recently added a BC Medalist stock and a Jewel trigger. Bit by bit I've changed it a hundred bucks here 200 there. I could now afford to go out and buy a straight custom but doubt I ever will, too much fun tinkering. As is the gun is more accurate than I can shoot it from field positions, what more do you need?

For my kids I intend to get them each a 700 SPS in some caliber and then walk them through the same process improving little bits here and there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.