Flatbed Trailer - Tent Platform?

@Muddyboots The only negative I remember was we decided to just set up camp in the stock trailer instead of packing camp along to Montana in November late 90's. I think I was 30 and my brother 28, so pretty young and in good shape. Just a normal metal gooseneck stock trailer six horses will fit in fine. We had a wood stove and it was fully enclosed with wood panels in the upper slats. Temps at night in low teens, mid 20's in the day. We ran the wood stove wide open and FROZE OUR FLIPPEN ARSES OFF!!!!, Both of us swore to never sleep in a dang animal trailer, and to this day take two rigs so we can have our normal wall tents for camp. We figured it was just the air all around us as the floor joints were closed with cow flop and rubber mats. We have been -10 or more many times in the wall tents....cool but warm enough.
Should have kept some stock in trailer to snuggle with!

I am doing a DIY. With a 14' trailer with low side rails and drop gate, I'm decking the front 8 feet with 3/4" treated plywood. Supporting underneath in the middle and creating storage under the tent platform. Using a quick set-up tent, secured to tie-downs mounted to the plywood. The rest of the trailer floor is my 'porch'. I'm figuring out how to set up an overhead canopy that's not complicated to erect over the tent and porch.

The custom built canvas wall tent can use a steel or aluminum frame that goes together in a very short time. They are stand alone and can have a woodstove fly installed. My old fishing buddy had one that we used for fall and winter trips. With the Franklin wood stove we stayed out three days ice fishing with temp going -20 at night and about 8 inches of snow.
I started at the beginning of this thread and was waiting for someone to mention pop up ice house's.

There use to be a company in Indiana that custom made tents for flatbeds. This has intrigued me to some degree since I now have a 16' flatbed for new Can Am Defender.

So has anyone DIY this? Know of a anyone that does this? Any pics of how you did it?

I have an old 10x12 wall tent that I am looking at to see if I can modify.

I have a RV mat that would be great for floor.

Pros? Cons?
I think just put that tent on the bed. Don't roll outta bed, pad fer sure

My thoughts are to use the stake pockets by running a long 2x4 along side connected into the stake pockets. Add some pad eyes to 2x4 where tent tie downs are should work.

How about a Mongolian type yurt, might work
6AB2C1AB-F7ED-40BD-BCEF-693C52B1C2A1.png

I didn't read all the posts. Only the first 3 pages. I'll offer my experience.

In cold weather it's a losing battle. All 4 sides of the enclosure are surrounded by clod air. It's just a constant battle to keep the needed heat. Then you stoke the stove continually and all the heat is in the roof or out the stove pipe.
Then there is the stability issue. Need SOLID jacks at all 4 corners. With the need supports to keep them from sinking in the ground. Then getting them out of frozen ground when it's time to leave.
Then the need to attach the the tent to the trailer/ground. Remember that WIND thing that happens in nature? Bad nights sleep!!
Then there's the height issue. Need steps. SOLID steps. To get in and it the door and off the trailer.
I tried this. I live out west so you may or may not have different weather, hunting, objectives or expectations. For me it was a BIG waste of money. Wall tents now. On the ground. Nice and cozy and strong. Just my experience

You mean a truck bed type camper, by "slide in"? I too have seen versions of those.
I saw a guy that took a 28' gooseneck flatbed trailer that he bought cheap. Put a slide in pickup camper up front and raised it to go over the neck added extra tanks under it and has a modified jeep he puts on the back. Nice looking setup. Diamond plate undersides of the camper to hide tanks and storage.

Some people aren't built for camping. Maybe I should rephrase that. Everyone has a different tolerance for roughing it while camping. Too many, roughing it when camping is staying in a fifth wheel with a thermostat for AC or heat. Some feel a nylon tent in late fall with a small heater and good sleeping bag is adequate. I'm much more tolerant of the latter when hunting from spike camp set ups than summer camping during fishing trips. I just prefer comforts of home on the fishing trips but really enjoy the bare necessities while hunting from spike camps. The tent on a trailer is pretty comfy by comparison.

Some people aren't built for camping. Maybe I should rephrase that. Everyone has a different tolerance for roughing it while camping. Too many, roughing it when camping is staying in a fifth wheel with a thermostat for AC or heat. Some feel a nylon tent in late fall with a small heater and good sleeping bag is adequate. I'm much more tolerant of the latter when hunting from spike camp set ups than summer camping during fishing trips. I just prefer comforts of home on the fishing trips but really enjoy the bare necessities while hunting from spike camps. The tent on a trailer is pretty comfy by comparison.
A tent on the ground is much more comfy then a tent on a trailer.
Thank you for simplifying my answer!

Lot of GREAT comments! Tie down of tent is a lock with system I have in mind, I have never used a wood stove to heat a tent all night, impossible, step is GTG with heavy duty short ladder, set up for early season which I know means nothing to Mother Nature, tarp and RV mat for floor will keep air out. I have a wall tent so maybe may use and have nice cook tent on trailer. I have never used a heat source for sleeping. I prefer good sleep gear and have never been cold even well below zero. I feel that is part of the total experience. I use wood stove for warm up to dress or chit chat not sleeping. I will be 72 for this fall and still love the cold. Yeah, I know, not wrapped right! So I have some good options, good ideas, good repurposing, just nice thoughtful suggestions.

Even thinking of using stake pockets to place truss over trailer, use wall tent with stove jack. I do like the NO SNAKES on trailer thought though!!!😂😂😂