fixed 4x or vari 1-4x for ranch rifle?

vendetta333

shots max of 500 yards, mostly under 150. mostly for cyotes and deer. fixed 4x or variable 1-4x? and why? thanx for all input.

I would go with a 1-4X. 1X is pretty handy when something jumps out in front of you. I have a red dot sight on my ranch rifle and use it to hunt jacks (with a reduced load).

The adjustable models are certainly handy, if its thick you will want to dial back. The Leupy 1.5x5 is one of my favorite scopes and no problem poking coyotes at 400.

would you say that 4x will be enough for cyotes at 500 yards? that is unlikely, but would like to be prepared. at least optically. :D if no, i was looking at a 2-7x, but thought that a bit much for a 7.62x39 carbine.

I dont think a 2x7 is too much for the caliber, especially if you reload, and you know your drops and practice. It seems like smaller targets allways present themselves and the more magnification helps. 1.5x5 or 2x7. I have a Kahles 2x7 on a scout rifle that is my most used platform.

The adjustable models are certainly handy, if its thick you will want to dial back. The Leupy 1.5x5 is one of my favorite scopes and no problem poking coyotes at 400.
I've got 3 of these and I've really liked them..,picked up the Leupold 30mm 1-4x European eye relief is less critical, and it has a permanent home on my.375.

vendetta333 said:
would you say that 4x will be enough for cyotes at 500 yards? that is unlikely, but would like to be prepared. at least optically. :D if no, i was looking at a 2-7x, but thought that a bit much for a 7.62x39 carbine.

That would a tough shot with any scope. The rifle probably has 10" groups at that range - with no wind. Even 5 mph wind gusts will spread your groups out to 2-3 ft. The round may be subsonic too. Whichever scope you get, make sure it has enough elevation adjustment. The drop from a 100 yd zero is 20-25 moa, so you'll need at least 50 moa of adjustment range (60 moa is more likely), depending on how your rifle is built.

That would a tough shot with any scope. The rifle probably has 10" groups at that range - with no wind. Even 5 mph wind gusts will spread your groups out to 2-3 ft. The round may be subsonic too. Whichever scope you get, make sure it has enough elevation adjustment. The drop from a 100 yd zero is 20-25 moa, so you'll need at least 50 moa of adjustment range (60 moa is more likely), depending on how your rifle is built.

ran the numbers here on the lrh calc. it is 20 moa drop, 4.6 moa wind @ 5mph, and the bullet will go trans sonic round 550yrds. this was at an estimated mv of 2350fps. should be higher wen i reload, and factor in the barrel length, but was a modest estimate for sort of minimum ballistics i believe i could achieve

this will be shot out of an 18.5" barreled cz carbine not a 16" AK. more precise, and longer barrel.

want to keep the thing as light as possible, so was really giving thought to either the leupy Vx-II 1-4x or the VX-II ultralight 2-7x. they are within .3oz. of each other, anyone got any experience with either of those?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.