fixed or vari?

They would work very well. Older Leupold M8 6x42 in a 1" tube or the SWFA 6x would fit the bill well. I was shooting coke cans at 400 yards with the SWFA 6x so figure it would work for prairie dogs to around same distance. 200-250 would be no sweat.

Thanks KurtB. Hear in The Bayou State there is no need for high power scopes. Any info on SWFA? I've never fooled with them...where are they made ?

Down in the swamps eh? An older Leupold 4x or Weaver K4 would probably do great then. I like fewer moving parts and had great luck with both of those. If you are hunting in tight cover, I don't think the SWFA SS reticles are the best bet. I'd go either Leupold 4x or 6x with duplex, or the Weaver K4.

To answer the where are the SWFA made, believe they are Japanese made. Have several and they work great in the wide open west. What rifle are you scoping?

Lol...yep,Louisiana boy here. Thanks for info. Leaning towards Leupold. I have a Burris E1 on my pop's old M700 in .270. New scope will go on a .308 or .338 Federal.

Any thoughts on fixed power scopes for hunting up to around 200-250 yards??

A fixed 6X is too much for the woods for me. A fixed 4X is no good in the open sage for me. If I find something I might want to kill with the 7X binculars there are times when I want to take a closer look so neither works for me.

For the type of hunting you describe I'd suggest a fixed power scope. The degree of magnification is, of course, a personal choice but IMO hunters tend to choose scopes that are more powerful than they actually need. The greater the power of the scope the greater the amplification of the cross hair movement on target. For short range hunting a scope that provides a good image of the target along with an accurate point of aim is really all that's needed.
IMO, 6x is plenty for 200 - 250 yards.

I have my grandfathers and then my dad's M721 Remington in .270 wearing a Weaver K4 probably from when the gun was bought, so 60+ years. No problem on deer sized game to 500 yards. You just have to know your bullet trajectory and old school dope the wind. A quality fixed 4X should suit you well for 200-250 yards.

Thanks Red Sparky. And thats awesome you still have your grandpa's old gun. I still have a couple of my dad's old Weavers as well. I'm definitely going with fixed power probably a Loopy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.