First time out w/ 308

Maq Attaq

Finally was able to get out to the range with the 308 for a break in period. It is a Remington VLS 26" - 1:12T Bull Barrel topped with a Leupold VXII 3.5 x 12 x 44mm and a Harris bi-pod. I do not reload, YET, so I bought the cheaper Hornaday Steel Match 155gr BTHP. I was impressed with the caliber and the round. Every 3 shots I cleaned the bore and followed this process with 50 rounds. It did not take long to get it dialed in at 100yds. 1/2" group....going to the farm in a couple of weeks where I can reach out 300-500 yds. Going to pick up some more of the 155gr and also some 168gr match ammo and see how it does at those distances. Really really pleased with the set up.....

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Very nice looking rig; and not suprisingly a shooter to boot! My factory bull barrel shoots Federal Premium Gold Medal Ammunition 308 Winchester 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tails well all day long. I don't reload either and found this stuff cheap [ $20 ] by internet shopping.

Good shooting and Happy Holidays :)

I would stick with the 155's until you can get into reloading. It's a better bullet for going to 1000 w/ in .308 anyways until you jump up to 175+ grain bullets. Measure outside to outside, then subtract .308 from your group size. That is the actual size of the group. Your at an advantage being able to shoot the steel ammo. It will be a lot more affordable. Call Leupold and order some target turrets for that scope too. Nice rig.

Tank

Thanks guys

Hunt- what website did you find it so cheap

Tank- thanks for the correction on the grouping. So I shot a .192 grouping. NICE!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.