First stw build need some input

Hardrock

As I have so often read, I too am new to the brother hood. I have a Remington Sender 7mm stw. Back when they offered them. It is a shoter! I will post details later. I have been wanting to build another stw. I have come across a ruger 77 in a 7mm rem mag. It has had 100 rounds through it. It is priced well. Would this make a good donor rifle? Re barrel it, or ream it out? Love my stw. And Brethren this site for the stw is very cool. Thank you for the input!
Hardrock

I have had a number of M 77s and really liked them in calibers up to and including .280, but found them to light for comfort in larger calibers. Years ago, I was tempted to ream a 77 to STW and the smith talked me into a 26" rem 7 mag donor for the build. I'm glad he did. My current build is on a custom action w/ a 26" 3B Bartlein, mainly for the weight I appreciate on a STW. It may not be fair, but there are many more options in stocks, etc. for 700 based builds. At the very least, make sure the M 77 is a shooter before you ream it and go thru a lot of components. Bye the way, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers when you need help.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken.... the m77 is a standard action and would require serious mods to take on the stw without turning it into a single shot. I'd look elsewhere for an action.

Thank you gentlemen I appreciate the feed back. I am going to look else where. The situation looked very attractive. However with the input recieved it was not the right thing to pursue.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.