first shots

huntx0822

well i have been floating around here seeing what everyone has had to say for a while thought i better say hi and introduce myself. last night i shot my new 300wsm 12bvss for the first time and was very impressed with the groups, i was throwing .5 to 1. groups at 100yds i put 10 rounds through it before the scope base came loose, my fault must have missed some loctite. im looking for suggestions for this gun, anyone who has seen or held one knows the stock is far from steady. any simple, and fairly cost consious improvements would be greatly appreciated. i will be looking to extend my range to aroung 800yds with time and practice, will be looking to replace the scope im using now, need more eye relief(no blood yet) just soft reminders!! and for sure a stock. will be using a harris bipod. thanks for any info. jason

Jason , I hate to hear that you don't like the stock , they are generaly found to be pretty stable (the laminated one)with their big flat forend. What are you using for a rest?

Joel Russo makes some realy nice stocks for a very reasonable price you migh look into one of those.

I can't imagine the stock not being stable. I love the one I have. It's been stable enough to take multiple pds past 1000 yds and take out a doe @ 595 yds.

12 (F)vss my mistake. i agree the bvss is a stable stock, i got the synthetic which is what i was saying about flimsy. i was shooting off bags front and rear made for a real steady set up.

Yeah, those plasitic stocks sure are flimsy. I'd start saving up for something a little better. Maybe a laminate or a good synthetic.

You might talk to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks. He makes composite stocks for Savages, and has molds for several models. He makes them to order, with a wide range of colors and options. Here's a link to what I think of mine: STOCKADE

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.