first shots at 500

GRIT, 12x is enough power to shoot out to 1000 yds I currently dot it with one of my rifles, but i would recommend using more. 20x-30x is nice!

Finally got to shoot again, today. I'm still excited. I brought two targets today. My gong, and a 2' x 4' piece of plywood.

I started at 500. Shot the gong first. First shot hit. I then shot a group at the plywood target. I then noted the elevation.

Next, I backed up to six hundred. First shot at the gong - bonk! I then shot a group at the plywood target, and noted the elevation.

Next, I backed up to seven hundred. First shot at the gong - bonk! Another group on the plywood for elevation.

Next I backed up to eight hundred. First shot at the gong - bonk! Another group for the record, and I had to shoot the gong once more, just because- bonk!

Next I backed up to nine hundred. I only had four bullets left. First shot at the gong- I'm still waiting. A group on the plywood, and the last bullet for the gong. Missed.

My inpection of the target after the nine hundred shots showed the group 12" left of center. Must have been some wind I didn't notice?

The biggest three shot group was four inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also started by checking my zero at 100, dialing up to 500 and back to 100 for a second shot, then dialing up to 800 and back to 100 for the third shot. This group is 5/16" !

Grit

Thats sounds awesome. Glad your having fun. I went out shooting yesterday, my last 4 rounds of my 300 RUM. I wanted to shoot at my steel gong at 1150 yards. I have always missed my 1st shot, but its real close, after making my final clicks, I usualyl hit it on the 2nd and 3rd, 4th etc... Well this time I went to the range, there were 3 guys there. I was thinking, well there in for a surprise. After showing them where I was shooting, they were kinda looking at me like I was crazy. I had my spotting scope out, I brought my sister as the spotter, I got my video camera out, got my bench out. I told them I was shooting a steel gong about 14"x14" and the range was 1150 yards. All they could say was, "dang thats a long ways." I have read the wind fairly well, and I know that it usually blows to the right. Today, there was no breeze whatsoever, so I did not touch the windage. I let my first shot go and was about 1 1/2 feet low. I thought no problems, I'll go up 2 clicks and here a bonk. Well my 2 clicks brought it up about 1foot, and I hit about 6inches low was all. They were all still amazed I was even remotely hitting close to my target. I put on 1 more click for elevation and let the 3rd shot go. A clean miss, dang it I was mad. I missed about 2 inches to the left, musta got a touch of a breeze on that 3rd shot. I was pretty mad because this was the only time I've been out, and haven't been able to hit the target. It figures because there was people watching. Thats my excuse. My last shot, to be a nice guy, I let one of them shoot it. He said he had never shot a 300 RUM, let alone at 1150 yards so I let him shoot it. I put 4 clicks for wind on and he let the last shot go. He was about a 1 1/2 foot to the right. I still had fun, and I learn something everytime I go out. I just tried explaining to them that when your shooting past 1000, every little thing matters. They were still amazed at the power of the 210g VLD berger bullet at 3000fps as well. It still leaves a substantial blow in the dirt and kicks up dust. Keep shooting at 700-800 till you get real confident and 500 yard shots on deer are piece of cake!

How do you like the 300 ultra? I nearly bought one at the gun show this weekend. It had a savage action, and a 30" Shilen barrel. It looked well used, so I passed. Might have one built...

I absolutely love my 300 RUM. I fell in love with mine the day I shot a 3.5" group at 800 yards. With a factory rifle. Nothing more then a trigger job and glass bed with some good reloads. I have hammered 2 bull elk, that got flattened, 1 was 512 yards. Hit him 2 of 3 shots. 1st shot was actually dead standing on his feet as the 200g AB ripped behind his shoulders. He went uphill about 10 yards and was facing striagt away, I tried to put the bullet in his back but missed. At the shot he whirled back down to where he first was and stood broadside again. This time the 3rd shot broke his shoulders, and he went tumbling down the canyon. I wanted a 300 RUM for LR hunting mainly. I have shot mine out to 1150 yards on a 14" gong. The 300 RUM is a pretty impressive cartridge in my opinion. I just cant get over how accurate they are at LR too. I dont have a muzzle brake on my rifle either, and I only weigh 135 lbs. Recoil does not bother me to well. If your looking into buying a LR .308 cal, the 300 RUM is very hard to beat for the price of components. I have had mine for 2 years and I have put about 1000 rounds through it. My barrel is about toast, but I can still ring that gong, so its still alright I guess. I will be screwing a new lilja on it soon and really hope to ring some accuracy and range out of it.

If I run out and get an LSS today, my checking account blames you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It'll be a .300wm but I still blame you.

I love these rifles. I like the laminated stocks. Helps soak up the recoil of the 300 RUM. I did NOT want to get the cheap synthetic stock, I felt I would got a lot more felt recoil. I was going to go with the sendero with all the talk about them on here, but I hunt canyons for elk all day and I dont like to pack heavy guns. I figured the LSS would get me out to 800 yards to hit an elk. I think I surpassed that easily. I have actually taken a yote at 775, hit him on the 2nd shot. 1st shot was high because he was slightly downhill, my dad told me to hold on his feet the next shot and kaboom he was down. My rifle loves H-1000, only powder I have really tried with bullets from 150g-220g. I shoot off a concrete bench and a leadsled holds my rifle. I would like to get a nice mcmillan a5 stock, a jewell trigger, and a lilja 28" fluted barrel, I dont want a brake as they are way to loud and I have a hard time remembering to wear ear plugs all the time. The kick does not bother me, If I can shoot those groups w/out a muzzle brake, I really dont feel I need one. But yah, I dont think you would be unhappy with a LSS in 300 WM either.

Got to shoot again this weekend. It was a ton of fun. We started at 500, and backed up 100 yards at a time. We stopped at 1000. I was ringing' the gong almost every time at 1000!!!!!! This was my first try for the big 1K!

I don't know what the hell to do now. Buy a bigger gun?? The 300 ultra looks impressive. 1500 rounds barrel life? Maybe a 300 win mag.

I was just flippin' through a few reloadin' manuals. The highest bc I founded listed was .625 for the 7mm 162 A max. The 7mm stw looked like it could put the high bc to good use. I wouldn't expect much barrel life out of it iether?

I shoot 140 sst's with a bc of .495. Where would I find higher bc hunting bullets for my 270? Will they fit in a magazine? Or are they looong?

Anyway, I went from first 500 to first 1000!!! Bonk!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the hell to do now. Buy a bigger gun?? The 300 ultra looks impressive. 1500 rounds barrel life? Maybe a 300 win mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

As fpr what to do next, some suggestions:

1) Build a new gong that goes "Boink". "Bonk" has no pazazz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2) Don't know what you're using for a rest. Suppose its a beanie bag and bipod. If not do use that until you get bored with bang-bonk.

3 I'd hold off on a bigger rifle for the moment seeing as your concern is barrel life. Technology is evolving which may help.

Don't you have any wind down there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hmmm,

Well, the gong goes bonk at 500. At 1000, it's more like diing. And ya have time to lift an ear muff.

Wind comes and goes. The last day shooting, using the same hold for windage on two consecutive shots wouldn't work. But the wind was mild! I don't know about the wind. I suspect the wind will be the most challenging aspect of this long range fun.

Actually don't want a bigger gun. I want a smaller gun. A 6mm of some sort. What barrel twist do I need to stabilize, say, 105's?

See ya Roy,
pukoo...............diing

DO a search on 243AI. Someone on here is doing good stuff with one. Shooting 107gr bullets.

I'd recommend a 6.5-06AI or 6.5-284AI. Then you could jump up to 120 gr bullets and bring home some venisons. Or maybe even 140grainers.
Do the searches the twists are out there.

The smaller cals would reduce the cost of shootin and they buck the wind better than the 277.

I'm gettin' kind of tired of sending so many 338 cal bullets down range. Kind of eats into the budget a bit. But Midway has some 250 CTs for 9.99 which is a steal.

Just learned my long range shooter has been set back 6 weeks, and that's before it even gets started to be built. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That means my 338 PWM will be finished first. That one's gonna be a 'real' story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy,
Ok, now you're going to have to bring me up to speed on a couple things. Lets start with the Ackley. I hear and read AI all over the place. As I'm not into custom rigs or wildcats yet, I don't know who Ackley is, or how he improves everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Tell me the story.

What's a PWM? And if it's not a long range shooter, what is? How many rigs ya got bein' built at the same time? If this is where the future leads, I'd better get out now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Pushed back another six weeks? From what I've read, ya may not have that long! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely love my 300 RUM. I fell in love with mine the day I shot a 3.5" group at 800 yards. With a factory rifle. Nothing more then a trigger job and glass bed with some good reloads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it bedded full length, or free floated etc? Thanx for any input.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.