first shots at 500

grit

I had my first succesful attempt at 500 this morning! Some friends and I went coyote hunting. I brought my 270 with freshly bedded action and new scope along. I also put in my 14" gong.

After a few uneventful stands the wind started to pick up. We decided to set up my gong and try some long range shots. I dialed the elevation, and guessed the wind a little over ten mph. I held for the wind, and let one go. With the stout wind, and wet ground, niether spotter saw the shot. Two more shots with the same result.

I then dialed back down, and shot a target at 100. This showed the wind blowing harder than I'd guessed. After cranking back to 500 I held a full 2' into the wind. Bonk!
Bonk, bonk, bonk...First 500 yard five shot group is about 4 inches wide and 2 inches tall, in a hard wind! Under 1 moa at fifteen mph!

My fiends then each tried a few shots trying to hold for both elevation and wind. Two nicks, but no bonk. Meanwhile, I dialed back to 100 and shot my target again to see if my scope would come back to the same place, it did. When they gave up, I dialed my scope back up, and held for the wind again. Bonk, bonk, bonk...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll be sportin' a grin for the rest of the day! Unfortunately we were out of time. So, 'til next time, I'm excited.

Happy hunting!

Grit

Technical name is SWAG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.........
Scienctific Wild *** Guess. that sort acheivement lasts for a long while,You do realise you may have to find new freinds if you keep it up, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Well done

The swag made me smile. I have a story about swag. I am a building contractor. Upon completing a particularly tricky barrel vault recently, the homeowner asked, "How in the world did you figure that out"? To which I replied, " Actually, I used the swag method. I've found it can be the only sytem that works for these situations". "Ahh, I see", said the homeowner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nice shootin'!!!! It's not as tough as some people think. A little homework and a practice and you can make hits w/regularity @ even greater ranges. Next time, set her up @ 600 yds!!!

Making your shots with a gun you have personally worked on is always a satisfying feeling. You must have done a good job with the foreend stiffening and the bedding.

grit,

Nice shooting!

For those of us that don't know, can you tell us more about your equipment? I am curious about the scope you are using.
Thanks for your help and again, good shooting.

Regards,

JD338

After years of shooting out across wide open fields I know just what you mean about not being able to see your impacts. Most of the terrain where we hunt/shoot is clay or some variance of it so it dosn't show much for dust on impacts.

We got our gong set out at 500yds couple months ago and had a go at it with our favorite hunting rigs. I can honestly tell you it was pretty humbling at first. At first we didn't look up anything as far as holds we just pretended it was a hog out there and felt the need to bust it. Then after several misses, in basically the same conditions as you mention, we consulted our load dope and went at it. It definately opened up our eyes to a new world no doubt.

Good luck on your upcoming ranges as now it is on, and you will be walking it on out to test your limits.

JD,

My scope's a Nikon Monarch 4-12 Adjustable Objective. The first time I tried this I had a Leupold vx1 4-12. The Leupold vx1 wouldn't track properly (I'm sure the upper end ones would). I asked on this website about a scope for under $500. The Monarch was recomended by several people (post-"need a good scope").

I like this scope. It's clear, bright, and the tracking is accurate. I've read several good reviews about the buckmaster 4.5-14 side focus from Nikon as well. I chose the Monarch for the better glass.

I was pleased with the 12x magnification at 500 yards. While I haven't shot further yet, I think the 12x will be plenty out to 800 or 1000. I'll soon find out. The paralax adjustment is a must.

The rifle's a sporter weight, stock winchester 70 pre 64 in 270. I bedded the action and turned the trigger weight down. I also developed the handload I was shooting using the ladder method (post- very first ladder test).

I used a benchmaster rest to shoot from. I've yet to mount a bipod and try field positions. I'm looking forward to this.

I had put my gong on a bit of a slope. While I couldn't see my impacts, I could have drove out and looked at the holes in the ground. Next time I go out I'll back up until I can't hit the target any more. I plan to put my target on a slope again, so I can at least go see where my shots are hitting.

Bonk, bonk.....

ITs cool to listen to the gong when its hit. The thing to do like someone else mentioned is to get confident at 500. Then keep backing it up 100 yards till you get confident at hitting it. Pretty soon, 500 yard shots on deer size animals is pretty easy, even with regular rifles and 3-9 duplex reticle scopes. Practice and knowing where your bulelt goes is the key factor, nothing else.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.