First Predator rifle! Reloading for 243. win

matt_3479

I have finally Decided on getting a 243. win for Predator hunting. Im going with a Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint which comes with a 1:9 1/8" twist barrel. I was planning on trying everything from 55-95 grain bullets. What im really aiming for is around 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Will a 1:9 1/8 twist stabilize a 70 grain bullet. What should it stabilize the best?

IT will stabalize at least up to 100 grain. MAYBE 105 . try 38.5 of varget or 39 I4064 and an 85 sierra bthp . all the rem 700 i have shot those real good. try same powder with 70s too.

I own a VLS in 243 that performs exceptionally well and all these loads are from that rifle.

I second the 85gn Sierra GK.

I've also had good luck with the 87gn Vmax and 90gn Scenar

I've done a little testing with the 70gn BK, but the jury is still out on the accuracy I can develop with it.

My preference is H4350 in the 243 for anything above 85gns.

It might be a little heavy but MidWay USA has Hornady custom loads for .243 with 100 gr sp for 16 dollars and change. My gun loves them. Thats about 7-8 bucks off. Good luck

matt,
I have a Win70 HVB in .243 and I'm not sure exactly what the twist is but I suspect 1-9 to 1-9.5.
I have gotten good accuracy from the 65gn V-Max up to the 95gn Ballistic Tip's. My rifle really likes the upper end (85 to 95gn) range of bullets and my longest successful shots were with the 95gn BT.
I tried the 70gn BT in three different .243's and none of them shot them well. Two of the rifles could have been iffy but my Win has shot everything great except this bullet. Duno? It may have been a bad box of bullets but I haven't bought any more to dispell this.
I recently tried the 85gn Sierra GK and wow, what a sleeper of a bullet. I figured it wouldn't be as accurate as the SMK. Yeah, right. It shoots under 2.5" at 500yds for me. I just prepped and annealed 75 pieces of brass to load up enough for the upcoming deer season.
Two more bullets that I think should be accurate and great deer bullets are the 85gn TSX and the 90gn Scirocco. Never tried them but would love to. Anyway, good luck with an awesome round and happy shooting. Keep us updated. JohnnyK.

My go to load for the .243 (before converting to 6mmAI) was the 87grn V-Max with RL-19 & FED 210M, bug hole groups all day long; accuracy came in somewhere between 3100-3200, B.C. is .400, great bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.