First magnum caliber

I've recently re-discovered the .30-06. An impressive cartridge that is much improved by modern powders and bullet designs.

But if you really MUST HAVE a magnum, you can go two ways:

1. Get a .300 Win mag. Everyone (except me) has one, and they're shooting the heaviest game at l-o-n-g distances. OR,

2. Follow the example of the new woke generation, who have declared that you can be any one of a dozen genders just by declaring it. IOW, declare your current rifle a .30-06 Magnum and just keep shooting it!

I've recently re-discovered the .30-06. An impressive cartridge that is much improved by modern powders and bullet designs.

But if you really MUST HAVE a magnum, you can go two ways:

1. Get a .300 Win mag. Everyone (except me) has one, and they're shooting the heaviest game at l-o-n-g distances. OR,

2. Follow the example of the new woke generation, who have declared that you can be any one of a dozen genders just by declaring it. IOW, declare your current rifle a .30-06 Magnum and just keep shooting it!
You have a point 30-06 with the newer powers do surprise me what you can get out of them.ive really thought about Ackley improving mine and set it up for heavier bullets and be done

Hello all I'm looking at stepping up to a magnum caliber rifle all I've ever had is 308s 30-06 and 270 and 223 and 50 cal muzzle loader.and wanting something with more punch and more reach and a kind of a do all hunt everything but brown bear caliber and be confident in it.ive looked at 300 win mag 7mm mag all the wsm and saums but not sure what would be best.i mostly hunt deer and will be hunting black bear this year and hope able to hunt elk next year. Just would like some info and experience from who ever wants to share some knowledge of what magnum caliber would be good.as far as rifles go I would like to do a semi custom if I can off the rem 700 30-06 action or savage model 11 308 action depending on what caliber.if I'm not able to do that I've looked at windchester,browning, tikka,bergara, and Christiansen arms for factory rifle thanks all in advance
I get this question a lot . I started out with a 270 . Then discovered the 7 RM and never looked back or wished I had gone with something bigger . I mainly shoot factory ammo . Hornady stuff . I've shot pigs in Texas to elk in Wyoming and Utah . Have been pleased with it for a lot of years . And with the advancement of ammo I don't see it changing anytime soon . Good luck on whatever you chose . Happy hunting !!

I get this question a lot . I started out with a 270 . Then discovered the 7 RM and never looked back or wished I had gone with something bigger . I mainly shoot factory ammo . Hornady stuff . I've shot pigs in Texas to elk in Wyoming and Utah . Have been pleased with it for a lot of years . And with the advancement of ammo I don't see it changing anytime soon . Good luck on whatever you chose . Happy hunting !!
Interesting...so you'd say you noticed a big difference in performance going from .270 to 7mag?

Hello all I'm looking at stepping up to a magnum caliber rifle all I've ever had is 308s 30-06 and 270 and 223 and 50 cal muzzle loader.and wanting something with more punch and more reach and a kind of a do all hunt everything but brown bear caliber and be confident in it.ive looked at 300 win mag 7mm mag all the wsm and saums but not sure what would be best.i mostly hunt deer and will be hunting black bear this year and hope able to hunt elk next year. Just would like some info and experience from who ever wants to share some knowledge of what magnum caliber would be good.as far as rifles go I would like to do a semi custom if I can off the rem 700 30-06 action or savage model 11 308 action depending on what caliber.if I'm not able to do that I've looked at windchester,browning, tikka,bergara, and Christiansen arms for factory rifle thanks all in advance
I stepped up to a .300 WSM for elk, moose and other large game animals ! I used my reloads with 180 accubonds and have one shot kills on several moose and a bull elk !

I started out as a speed freak and thumper fan. 300Wby, 300RUM, 270Wby, 257Wby, 338Win then 338-378 and 338 RUM. Then on to the 378Wby and 375 RUM. I still love the 300 and 257 Weatherbys, but most of the animals I have taken over the last 10 years have been with the 260, 270Win, 6.5Man-Bun, 6.5-06, and 6.5x284N. Not to say I have not used some others, but for grab a gun and go I am usually grabbing something in the middle. If I was going to settle on one magnum thumper it would be the 300Bee or the 338RUM. They are both very easy to load for and have great versatility with bullets like Partitions and Accubonds and Hammers from 10 to 600 yards.

Go BIG or go home! Caliber of at least .338 and a large volume case. There are lots of options.
Or stick with what you have have and build some hot hand loads with premium long range bullets. (you are interested in long range aren't you?) You didn't mention the accuracy of your current stock or your real need to go to a magnum as you already have elk worthy calibers. Maybe you should consider accuracy improvements and extending the range of your current rifles...

As its your first magnum.
Look at 300 Win nag first, there is ammo available everywhere in the world, and 2nd option is 300 PRC if you handload or are happy to buy enough factory ammo to cover a few years of shooting. The PRC gives you some linger range factory options.
You can use your rem 700 3006 action. A gunsmith can open the mortgage and have a M16 type extractor fitted. The M16 is pinned in place as a posed to a Sako type.
Either the Win Mag or PRC barrel can be fitted. I would look at a 9 twist barrel it will allow you to shoot up to 230gr vld projectiles. Look at the 300 Win Mag first.

Yes sir ! The ability to shoot bigger pills with more velocity at longer ranges was the ticket for me . The 162 precision hunters are great for elk and high country bucks .
Right on. I had suggested a 7mag would be redundant for someone who already had a 270 and an 06. It seems i spoke ignorantly. This is the reason I went with the 300 win mag tho, I already had a 270 and the 7mag just didn't feel justified. Wanted a big step up in horsepower that I could still buy ammo for at a rural gas station in a pinch. The .300 win has been everything I've wanted.

As its your first magnum.
Look at 300 Win nag first, there is ammo available everywhere in the world, and 2nd option is 300 PRC if you handload or are happy to buy enough factory ammo to cover a few years of shooting. The PRC gives you some linger range factory options.
You can use your rem 700 3006 action. A gunsmith can open the mortgage and have a M16 type extractor fitted. The M16 is pinned in place as a posed to a Sako type.
Either the Win Mag or PRC barrel can be fitted. I would look at a 9 twist barrel it will allow you to shoot up to 230gr vld projectiles. Look at the 300 Win Mag first.
My standard 10 twist 300 win does just fine with 225 eld m, which is a bit longer and higher bc than the 230 berg. Other than that I agree with this wholeheartedly.

the only 30 cal bullets that a 10twist can't handle
Are also so long and heavy I feel that it'd be a bit diminishing return territory with a win mag and would suggest a RUM , weatherby, or 338 lapua based wildcat. Already kind of want to step down from the 225s, they work great but the start speed is lacking.

Even though personally I can't stand the cartridge...for a new to magnum shooter, you can't go wrong with a 7RM.
The step up in flatter trajectory alone, with mild recoil, is a big bonus.
Another option is a 264WM. A nice Winchester Model 70 EW comes to mind, mine is fantastic and superbly accurate.
A 300WM is a lot of recoil for many people.
Unless the rifle weight is 10lbs or more, most inexperienced magnum users do not like the sharper recoil, and Bullets of 200g or more seriously increase the snappiness of the recoil to being uncomfortable for some people. Have seen quite a few Weatherby eyebrows from the 300 magnums over the years and I copped a hit to the bridge of my nose/shooting glasses from a lightweight Supergrade many years ago due to the rifles torque off a solid rest.
I prefer the 264WM, but also have a 7STW that really is a flat shooting beast.
So take your pick. But I suggest you shoot a 300WM first before deciding if you want one.

Cheers.

Recent Posts