Bartlein 2B on 30 caliber magnum rifle

JohnyRingo

What are your thoughts on rebarreling my XBolt 300 H&H Mag with a 2B Bartlein barrel? I am trying to keep the weight down on this rifle as it is a backcountry rifle. The 2B contour is larger than the current barrel contour, so I am hoping for an improvement in rifle accuracy. This is the primary reason for the rebarrel. I am looking for cold bore accuracy, but would like a rifle that also shoots 1/2" 3-shot groups. I have other factory rifles that will do this. This XBolt has been a very difficult rifle to deal with and I'm thinking a new barrel is in order.

I have not had any of my Bartleins not shoot well. Obviously, the smaller contours are going to heat up quicker, but you only need one shot, right? That said, I have several spotter contour rifles that shoot very respectable 3 shot groups before the group starts to open up.

I really like Bartlein's 2B contour for magnum cartridges, as I feel that it strikes a good balance, the barrel isn't too thin, nor is it too heavy to pack with. To save weight I suggest that you consider a short cylinder length, maybe 1/2" if your smith is good with that, as most of the barrels weight is in the rear end. I would also have the barrel fluted to shave off a few more ounces.