Bare rifle weights with 2b

wjarrell

I have a Remington 700 LA Mag I'm gonna build on, 7prc finished at 22". I'm trying to get an idea of finished rifle weights with a 2b contour or similar sized contours. I'm undecided on a stock but I want the stock to weight in at about 2 pounds.

What does your bare rifle weigh with a similar barrel?

The action weigh ~ 2 lbs 7 oz the ~ 3lbs 8 oz and you stock 2 lbs so you are about 8 with no scope or mounts

Just to give you an idea a proof research pre fit barrel in 7prs in 24" weighs 2 lbs 15 oz. My Zermatt origin with 300 wm proof in a peak 44 stock weighs less than 7 lbs. Not sure if you are set on a 22" barrel but 2" more and lighter weight may give you something to think about

I watched the video Hill Country put out on YouTube. They were comparing barrel lengths 20, 22, and 24 in the 7 PRC and that got me thinking about a shorter barrel.

I have a 7 RM that has a 26" #3 Bartlein, HS stock and nightforce SHV and it weighs 10.5 pounds. This build I want to be 2 pounds lighter.

Just had a 7mm wsm built. Terminus short action, 23 inch barrel plus brake, bdl bottom metal, steel barrel. Bare rifle came in at 5 3/4 lbs.

OP I made this earlier this year and it is roughly accurate based on published weights, but you could quibble over 1/10th of a lb here and there.

4.2 lbs 3b Barrel, 4.1 for 24". 3.95 for 3 contour, 3.7 2b contour). Fluting takes off .3
1.5 lbs carbon stock, 2.25 fiberglass (McMillan)
2 lbs deviant hunter, 1.75 lbs for deviant ultralight, 1.5 for anTi-X
1.25 misc metal
.3 lbs trigger
.4 lbs bottom metal
.3 lbs brake
.25 rings

What barrel did you go with?
To be at 5.75 with a 23" barrel it would have to be a Remington mountain rifle contour with a light stock like a manners uc or something close. I have a 700 mountain 7-08 with a 22" barrel in a uc that is 5.6 among others so I know that weight range pretty well. My stock is 19 oz and my barrel is 2 lb to give you an idea.

I just read the thread again and realized you are trying to hit 8.5. That is possible but it takes some effort. Start with a manners elite shell or a McMillan edge or lighter, whatever action, and a 2b fluted. The SHV will push you over weight. Basically you'll need a 24-26 oz stock, a 20-22 oz scope, maybe go 22" on the barrel, and light scope rings. I have a 300 WSM that is 8.3, so close to where you want to be. Given you're building a long action it would be exact if mine was a long action.

Stiller Tac 30
Proof Research Sendero Light 24"
Blended Radial Brake
McMillan Game Hunter Edge Fill
Seekins DBM
Hawkins rings
Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x44