Barrel weights

Building a lightweight rifle. Obviously a featherweight barrel would be the lightest, but what would be a good barrel contour, that if fluted, would come close to the 2-2.5 pound mark? I know that's probably pushing it and 3 lbs. is probably more realistic. But would say, a #3 come close if fluted? A #4 or 5#?

The conversation has turned to carbon wrapped. I also have a carbon wrapped but it is a Christensen Arms 26" barrel in Sendero Light configuration. The muzzle is about .920" and now has a Terminator T3 brake. Surprisingly it weighed the same as the extremely light Pac-Nor of the same length before the Pac-Nor was fluted. It is on a Pierce titanium action and the rifle weighs about six and a half pounds without the scope and rings. The stock was a custom made MPI in Portland, Oregon. It started life at twelve ounces before I had them add the Weatherby shape.

This is what I put on my Tikka T3 chambered in the 6.5 Wolf Killer, unfluted barrel blank weight shown @ 26", did not flute barrel or weigh after thread & chamber cuts

Attachments

• Bartlein no.3 5r 8t 26 inch 264 cal-a.jpg
    Bartlein no.3 5r 8t 26 inch 264 cal-a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 66
Did you weigh the entire rifle after the rebarrel? Also, off topic, but I looked up that your wolf killer is an improved 6.5x55. What kinds of velocities are you getting out of it?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts