First long range deer

long450

I managed to take a doe deer at 738 yards this week. Thanks to all who post and share information on this sight. It has been very usefull.

I will try to include pictures when I get time.

The shot was taken off the top of my truck cab. Grass and brush are too tall and just enough catus to encourage you not to lay or sit on the ground around my hunting area. This shot was taken on my lease just south of San Angelo, Texas.

Doe weighted 120 lbs and was shot with a custom Long Shot Rifles (LSR) 7WSM with a 168gr Sierra matchking bullet. Bullet was a complete pass through and within 1 inch of where I had intended for it to be. All adjustment where made using preprinted ballistic charts. Temperature was 41 degrees with 22% humidity.

At the impact, the deer hunched her back, walked about twenty steps forward as if not hit and then started backing up and flopped over. The other deer in the area knew something was up, but did not run. One deer actually came to the fallen doe and stood there looking at her. The wind was 5 to 8 mph at 90 degrees.

I learned that to make such a shot requires some effort when you are by yourself. By the time you spot your game, measure distance with lazer, look up adjustmrent, adjust elevation, get the wind speed and direction, look up adjustment, compensate for the wind, steady rifle and squeeze the trigger, all the while target not perfectly still, you are one busy person.

After the confirmed fall of the animal you have to be able to locate the deceased. I left my rifle in the same position where I had seen the deer fall in case I needed to be able to make additional confirmation of the location. After a couple of rechecks to the location through the rifle scope, I was able find the deer with only slight adjustment in my diredction.

This is a challenging, but rewarding sport. thanks for sharing. Ken Long

Ken, congratulations! It sounds like you have graduated with honors from L.R.H.U. :)

Ken:

Congratulations on a great shot.;)

Sounds like you did your homework well and put it to good use.:)

Now......just get us some pictures.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.