First Long Range Deer

Until I get the picture of the gun up, I thought you guys might enjoy this video that I took this summer. I had just gotten a new video camera and wanted to try it out. The quality is crappy because I had to shrink it so much to get it hosted. This was the first time I had shot at 700 yards. I was still fine tuning the scope. After the 3 shots at the target, I dialed it down and to the left, then shot at the steel. The steel plate is 12"x12".

Hopefully this works.

http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/MtnManCO/?action=view&current=08700yds.flv=URL

Colby, in the mountians of penna. where the longrange deer hunting is done, when you come accross a group of experienced hunters or old timers they will have different cailbers but most will always have a 7/300wby.
Drags

way to go colby, but its a done deal, your hooked, tell us about the next build? its a sickness I tell ya! congrats on a job well done, now, get dad hooked on it.
RR

Drags,
At least I'm in good company.

Here are a couple more pics of the gun. Overall length is about 53", weight is 9.8 lbs.

P1000733.jpg

P1000734.jpg

Ridge Runner,
I hope to get him comfortable with shooting long range. My Mom had this 300 Win Mag custom built for him a few years ago by Howard Wolfe, and our friend in PA did all the stock work. He has yet to kill an animal with it, but I put the VXL on it for him this summer and got it all dialed in, so hopefully he will get a chance soon. It shoots sweet.

P1000735.jpg

P1000736.jpg

That is a beautiful buck. You are in good company here.

My brother's primary LRH rifle is built on an old Rem Model 30. It has a 26" Douglas chambered in 7mm STW AI. The rifle is a lights out shooter.

Not sure what it is about those old actions, perhaps it has to do with the integral recoil lug that is part of the action. But I have noticed more than just few guys are getting great results with those "old" actions. gun)

His rifle is nearly a twin to yours, blued action, stainless barrel.

Once again congrats and good work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.