First focal plain vs second focal plain

I dont know use what floats your boat.Ive been using FFP,for over ten years.The elk,deer,bears,goats,etc all took dirt naps. I like it, my son shots a 4-14x50 sfp b&c .Hes shot my stuff for years, has my hand me downs, had been chasing a bull for 1/2 day caught up to it, sent first few about ten feet High he relayed to my later.Wasnt on right power for his scope to work,set it and dropped it on last shot.Had me laughing,Marines tought him to shoot too fast, after spending about $200,000 on him.

To me, all of those hashlines & dots are just an optically confusing field to get lost in. That's easily done though, confusing me.

If you are using this for hunting an FFP on low power will serve you no purpose as until you power past 8x you'll not be able (on most reticles) to see the details on the reticle

SFP the reticle size does not vary with power changes
I can see all of my reticles on my FFP scopes just fine at low power, and they are all used for hunting.

The Blur. My son has spent considerable time shooting my setups that are ffp,so scope variable,all dope is the same in reticle. My son has the sfp B&C reticle and it has to be set on the 14x for reticle to work, he was at some random power lower,bull was ina rock slide so he saw impact and realized his mistake. Set to 14 and dead elk,this was in mid 700. I grew up on sfp,as did probably most.Then I had the first tactical from Leupold,black ring,4-13x50 mildot.Which is a mix I would not recommend.Reticle different scale than turret.This scope now on a 325 wsm,was on my 340 wby for good stretch.

Last edited:
Can you explain that in a bit more detail please.
Ballistic reticles in a 2FP scope only work on a specific power, usually the highest power of the scope. The reticle stay the same size while the image gets bigger as you zoom in and if shooting at the lower power you are going to be way high...like 10 feet as the poster said.

I thought the lowest, and highest power are accurate. Is that correct? while the in between powers are not accurate.

Ballistic reticles in a 2FP scope only work on a specific power
Should be said that a SFP reticle can be used accurately on other powders than the default max powder that most SFP reticles are calibrated for.
For example a SFP reticle with 1 moa hash marks at 24x, when dialed down to 12x, the marks become 2 MOA. At 8x they become 3 MOA and at 6x they become 4 MOA. Kinda get the best of both worlds this way.

Last edited:
Should be said that a SFP reticle can be used accurately on other powders than the default max powder that most SFP reticles are calibrated for.
For example a SFP reticle with 1 moa hash marks at 24x, when dialed down to 12x, the marks become 2 MOA. At 8x they become 3 MOA and at 6x they become 4 MOA. Kinda get the best of both worlds this way.
Yes, but that requires the user to be familiar with his equipment, and some basic math skills LOL

You guys are really hitting the high points. I find sfp is best when you want a single aim point. Sure, a bdc sfp works, but not well. It requires the gun be on a specific power, usually max....you can say it can be math'd out, but 6 on a 3-9x is not 6!

On a ffp, the first 25% of the power range works, but the reticle kind of hides the aim point. The second 25% is kind of useless as you cannot see the reticle well. Then 50% on up it become quite useful and can be used....not for a rangefinder, but for elevation and windage. I find it preferable to turning knobs when looking at animals.

This question is kinda like asking Ford/Chevy/Dodge or Coke/Pepsi... How useful an FFP reticle is depends on the design and the attitude of the user. I like mine very much, but other folks say the ones they've used were terrible. If you want some real fun, ask which is better: MIL or MOA?

Clearly, second plain (as spelled in the thread title) is just ordinary, nothing special. Where as first plane is number 1 and vastly superior. Once I flew to Spain on a plain old plane with propellers and when I got there I planed some planks to keep the rain out of my hut on the plain.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.