First Ever Issue with primers

Bang4theBuck

I picked up a batch of Alpha Brass for my new 6mm Creedmoor. I loaded 25 of them with moderate powder charges and BR4 primers and 25 of them with CCI 450 Primers. When i went to the range to test which delivered better ES/SD numbers, I was surprised that 7 of 25 of the BR4s didn't go bang. 2 of the 450s didnt either. Attached is a pictureof the hit on the primer. It seems good to me, but I can't say. One the rounds that did go off, there was a marked difference between the two. The BR4s grouped very well and have single digit SDs across 5 powder charges. The 450s had SDs between 15 and 35 in the same respective charges. I was getting aprox 50 fps faster out of the 450s for the same charge, but can't see sticking with them based on the poor velocity consistency. Any help on the no bang issue would be appreciated.
Primer hit.jpg

First firing? Case was free in chamber or primer not seated to bottom of pocket. Firing pin strike was lessened by movement of case or primer.

Try different primers in a test case to ensure if it is primer issues or not. If same issue occurs with different primers, then you may have a problem with the action spring.

I picked up a batch of Alpha Brass for my new 6mm Creedmoor. I loaded 25 of them with moderate powder charges and BR4 primers and 25 of them with CCI 450 Primers. When i went to the range to test which delivered better ES/SD numbers, I was surprised that 7 of 25 of the BR4s didn't go bang. 2 of the 450s didnt either. Attached is a pictureof the hit on the primer. It seems good to me, but I can't say. One the rounds that did go off, there was a marked difference between the two. The BR4s grouped very well and have single digit SDs across 5 powder charges. The 450s had SDs between 15 and 35 in the same respective charges. I was getting aprox 50 fps faster out of the 450s for the same charge, but can't see sticking with them based on the poor velocity consistency. Any help on the no bang issue would be appreciated. View attachment 95104

is that primer sticking out at all? it almost looks like it's not fully seated.

something to check is the headspace of the brass you picked up and the squareness of the pockets, test FP spring strength with a fired case and a bathroom scale,