First ELR Rifle Christensen vs Cooper 300rum vs 338lapua

Remington92

Hi all wondering if i could pick your brains on a new hunting rifle. This year I got my first semi "precision hunting rifle" and im hooked!! (Bergara B14 hunter 6.5 creedmoor w/ vortex 5-20x) night and day difference compared to the 700bdls and 3x9s I grew up with.

Im starting to think about buying a large magnum for large game and ELR hunting. (Living in Montana) Right now its between the Christensen ridge-line/classic in either 300rum or 338lapua or the cooper rifle 52 Jackson hunter or timberline in same calibers. (Timberline is way im leaning)

My local gun store deals in quite a few coopers and christensens and said if for some reason it doesn't shoot to standard they'll either exchange it or send it off till its right. I've also heard cooper does $125 re-barreling?

Open to other rifle recommendations under about $2750 (dont really want a true custom gun) also I have 2 7mag currently so going to 300wm or similar isn't enough of a jump to make it worth it.

Can i get some opinions from folks that have had either?

I have some experience with the Christensen. I load for a buddy and shoot it occasionally. Very nice, very accurate.

I wish I could speak to the Cooper. I've only seen them in one shop. Hundreds of miles away in a special no finger prints room. Well to be fair, this is the room for rifles that start at $1,000 and up. Of course my favorite room when I get over there.

I have a couple 300 RUM. Love it. I have shot my buddies Christensen in 300RUM during load development. Taken game with mine only to 500 yards. He has taken feral hogs past 1000 with his and my Barnes TTSX 180 load. It is a stout load. Kills R-P brass in 3 uses.

As for Lapua, I have shot but do not shoot it. It is a fine cartridge design.

Now the opinion/advice/suggestion.

Go with the Lapua. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

With that budget I'd look hard at the Christensen ELR, it's more of a dedicated long range rig than the Ridgeline. They are available in both calibers, although the Lapua is tough to find.

Asides from the stock is there much different between the ELR and the ridgeline? It just seems hard to justify the same price for the sub moa guarantee ELR compared to a 1/2" moa cooper? ( Just curious what the extra 1K gets you with the elr)

Is there any worry from the christensen or cooper action standing up to lapua?

I have some experience with the Christensen. I load for a buddy and shoot it occasionally. Very nice, very accurate.

I wish I could speak to the Cooper. I've only seen them in one shop. Hundreds of miles away in a special no finger prints room. Well to be fair, this is the room for rifles that start at $1,000 and up. Of course my favorite room when I get over there.

I have a couple 300 RUM. Love it. I have shot my buddies Christensen in 300RUM during load development. Taken game with mine only to 500 yards. He has taken feral hogs past 1000 with his and my Barnes TTSX 180 load. It is a stout load. Kills R-P brass in 3 uses.

As for Lapua, I have shot but do not shoot it. It is a fine cartridge design.

Now the opinion/advice/suggestion.

Go with the Lapua. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

I like the way you think!! Do you happen to know if the mag boxes on the christensen allow loading to max length without being a single shot?

I like the way you think!! Do you happen to know if the mag boxes on the christensen allow loading to max length without being a single shot?
That's a loaded question. LOL

I would have to go look at my loading data for that rifle. I've just left the house. I'll try to get what I have later.

Asides from the stock is there much different between the ELR and the ridgeline? It just seems hard to justify the same price for the sub moa guarantee ELR compared to a 1/2" moa cooper? ( Just curious what the extra 1K gets you with the elr)

Is there any worry from the christensen or cooper action standing up to lapua?
I do not know if there is any difference other than the stock. But, that type of stock can easily run into the $500 range so it's not like your paying for nothing. Generally speaking, the CA rifles have very generous mag lengths for a factory rifle, can't tell you for sure on that particular caliber if you'll be able to chase the lands.

I know they aren't sexy, but don't overlook the Savage rifles in 338 Lapua, they shoot great right out of the box. Both the LRh and the BA Stealth are great shooting guns.

I have a Christensen Classic in 338 Lapua. It's a wonderful rifle. Hard to believe it only weighs 7.1 lbs. I put a NF ATACR 5-25x56 on it, and it really balances the rifle well. It's super accurate and the recoil isn't an issue with the brake. I'm still in the process of load development for it

I do not know if there is any difference other than the stock. But, that type of stock can easily run into the $500 range so it's not like your paying for nothing. Generally speaking, the CA rifles have very generous mag lengths for a factory rifle, can't tell you for sure on that particular caliber if you'll be able to chase the lands.

I know they aren't sexy, but don't overlook the Savage rifles in 338 Lapua, they shoot great right out of the box. Both the LRh and the BA Stealth are great shooting guns.

I know i shouldn't be this way and do realize that they're good shooters but just not a fan of savage rifles. Never picked one up that felt like a quality tool. Any idea how the wetherby mark v stack up? Never shot one but the few ive handled seemed excellent fit and finish.

I have a Christensen Classic in 338 Lapua. It's a wonderful rifle. Hard to believe it only weighs 7.1 lbs. I put a NF ATACR 5-25x56 on it, and it really balances the rifle well. It's super accurate and the recoil isn't an issue with the brake. I'm still in the process of load development for it

Thats good to here! Have you seen any problems with the magazine limiting your coal? I was also curious how the recoil would be out of a light rifle like that.

Thats good to here! Have you seen any problems with the magazine limiting your coal? I was also curious how the recoil would be out of a light rifle like that.
I'm trying to remember if the mag gave me any COAL issue. The only 2 bullets I've shot out of it our the 210 gr Hammer Hunter and a 225 Nosler E-tip. I'm pretty sure the Hammer bullet is only 0.02 from the lands and no issue with the box mag. The E-tip has quite a bit of jump (and I always do the Berger seating depth protocol before I truly work up a load) so, obviously, there is no mag box COAL issue.
Don't knock the Savage rifles too much. Very first rifle I ever owned is a 30-06 Savage 110 and it's a frickin' tack driver. Loves cheap or expensive ammo. Has always been sub moa and got even better once I started reloading for it. I also have a 6.5-284 Norma Savage 116 LA that was originally a 30-06 but rebarreled with a 24" Savage factory barrel in the Norma. Again, it's a frickin' tack driver. Can't argue with results!!
I don't own a Weatherby Mark V, but I have buddies who do. Very nice rifles and all the ones coming out of the factory now are guaranteed sub-moa, so I'd say they have their quality control up to where it needs to be.

I can't speak for the Christensen but have owned a Cooper that has been shot/hunted extensively for about 8 years. The workmanship, accuracy, and reliability is impeccable. Owning several customs built with top quality actions, the Cooper is second to none when it comes to fit/finish, smoothness, reliable feeding, and extraction. Mine is in 6.5x284 with about 1000 rounds through it and still holds .25MOA five shot groups and indicates no throat erosion. If the day arrives, the $125 barrel replacement will be a welcome extra.

I can't speak for the Christensen but have owned a Cooper that has been shot/hunted extensively for about 8 years. The workmanship, accuracy, and reliability is impeccable. Owning several customs built with top quality actions, the Cooper is second to none when it comes to fit/finish, smoothness, reliable feeding, and extraction. Mine is in 6.5x284 with about 1000 rounds through it and still holds .25MOA five shot groups and indicates no throat erosion. If the day arrives, the $125 barrel replacement will be a welcome extra.

That rebarrel policy and the test target with ammo makes the cooper really tempting! Plus the few i handled in the store had the tightest, slickest action ive seen in a rifle. Only rifle ive handled that had no bolt wiggle and felt like it was on bearings. Im kind of hoping my local gunstore will get a timberline in soon so i can get hands on first. That model also has a hinged floorplate which is what i prefer for hunting.

The consistent accuracy needed to take game at long ranges is unlikely to be had from a factory rifle. Assuming you want to shoot game at 1000 yards I would not attempt it with anything less than a .5 moa rifle. .5 moa at 1000 yards is very different than .5 moa at 100. Your going to need some surplus accuracy to overcome all of the things that happen at long range. A 1000yd .5 moa factory or semi custom rifle is going to be the exception, not the norm. But you can build something for probably similar costs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.