7mmRM vs. .300RM vs. .300rum

+1 300RUM, the only con is that it isn't a .338 ;)

When you are talking large animals at long distance, the bigger the better. Read my sig line.

AJ

All three you listed will work well on deer and elk to 800 yards. An 800 yard moose is a few and far between occurence I think. Of the three, I think the .300 RUM is the most versatile. mtmuley

My 300um is setup for 1000yards.I have taken a bull elk at 856 and mule deer out to 686 yards. All one shot kills. I am using 180 gr. swift scirocco bullets ,retumbo powder,leupold scope and a harris bipod.I have taken big game from just under 100 yards to the 856 yards mentioned above. This setup has never failed me.Lots of practice dosent hurt either.Never shot a moose though. I took it to Alaska this spring for black bear hunting. This is by far the toughest animal I have shot yet. The bear took three shots to put it down at 336 yards. It was extremly thick and brushy. It would have expired with the first shot but I didn't want to chance it.

All 3 will get the job done.

I would go with the 300 WM or 300 RUM though.

If you know your shots are going to be long most of the time, like 600+ the RUM is the way to go, if not the 300 WM is a great cartridge and wont break the bank with powder consumption. You'll also get almost double barrel life from the 300 WM vs the RUM.

I've had both and feel the 300 RUM is a bit much for game inside 600 yards. It doesn't kill them any deader then a 7 RM or 300 WM will. However, like I said, if you plan on doing most 75% or more shooting on game past 600, the RUM is a great cartridge.

Depends on how much you want to practice as well. Most people dont like the RUMS w/out a muzzle break. Never bothered me to much but everyones different. If you want to shoot a lot to become proficient with it at LR its something to consider, barrel life.

My 300 RUM lasted 1200 good rounds before the accuracy was really starting to fall off past 500 yards. It got rebarreled to 338 EDGE with 300g SMK for even more power and a little longer barrel life.

It depends what your going to do.

For Elk and Moose I would say .300 is a better choice. 8mm or 338 as well.

For deer 7mm is fine. Not that you can't kill either with a 7mm but I would prefer 308-338 personally.

Stay away from the 7mm RUM. Heard some bad things about it. The 300 RUM or .338 RUM are great guns.

Personally I think these are overkill for most though. A 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM is more then sufficient for most. I like my WSM and have loaded and shot the 300 Win Mag quite a bit. Either one is a good choice. Personally I like the 24" barrel and short action with a little less recoil. In these barrel lengths velocities are just about the same. My buddy has a T3 Tikka in 300 Win Mag 24" barrel and loading both side by side, velocities are extremely close. Shooting out to 500 or 600 yards, these are great. I would probably think hard about taking a 500 yard shot, and I've probably shot 1500 rounds of .300, between two different WSMs and a 300 Win.

My question is who possess the shooting skill and practices enough to take the 600-800 yard shots at an Elk? If you think you can do that, you better be shooting enough to burn a barrel out in the .300 RUM.

Also, keep in mind 300 RUM recoil is about the same as 338 Win Mag. Which is also a great gun for elk and Moose.

Also, a 325 WSM is good choice. A lack of bullet selection is the only thing that would keep me from having one.

I shoot all the RUMs 7mm-.375. I have taken game though only with the .338 but after testing the .375 and seeing how very flat it shoots and with plenty of downrange power I wouldn't hesitate using it out to 800-1,000yrds. given the right conditions with any of the Rums.
It's the practice and consistency that gets you there on target.

gun)

between the 7rm and the 300rm, I would pick the 7. It has way higher b.c. bullets than the 300 and will outperform it in velocity and downrange energy with the right bullet and still have less recoil. For the ultimate in killing power the 300 rum is hard to beat. Just remember that without a break it may hurt. I don't own the rum simply because I can't stand breaks and shot one with out one and it's hard to group good without the break.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.