First ELR Rifle Christensen vs Cooper 300rum vs 338lapua

The consistent accuracy needed to take game at long ranges is unlikely to be had from a factory rifle. Assuming you want to shoot game at 1000 yards I would not attempt it with anything less than a .5 moa rifle. .5 moa at 1000 yards is very different than .5 moa at 100. Your going to need some surplus accuracy to overcome all of the things that happen at long range. A 1000yd .5 moa factory or semi custom rifle is going to be the exception, not the norm. But you can build something for probably similar costs.

I would have agreed with this statement in the past, but this seems to be changing with selected factory manufacturers that are focusing on purpose built LR rifles. Based on my own personal experiences and having acquaintance with a number of skilled owners of these rifles, it certainly doesn't appear to apply to the semi-custom Cooper and Christensen LR offerings that the OP is considering. The performance standard you describe looks to be much more the norm as opposed to the exception, and these companies will stand behind their products as reputable custom gunsmiths do. IMO.

I am not sure I have ever seen a 5" 5 shot group at 1k with a factory rifle. I am sure it happens but I have to start seeing them to become a believer. That includes factory "competition" rifles as well than many have brought to matches. I think a lot of guys think a .5 moa rifle at 100 is still a .5 moa rifle at 1k. I have been to a lot of 1k matches and still am a match director for a 1k br match. I see a lot of targets, even full blown customs are not always much better. Thats with guys who are very skilled competitors. .5 moa at long range is nothing to sneeze at. I have had a Christenson 300 rum here to tune. Lets just say that it suffered from the exact same roll of the dice on accuracy as any factory rifle. I dont want to sound negative, but at least pick something up with an accuracy guarantee if going factory.

Last edited:
Alex i agree, I talk with guys all the time about longrange and i don't think some understand what it takes to CONSISTENTLY shoot good at ranges even close to a 1,000. The best gun,optics etc. aren't gonna do you any good if your skills as a handloader aren't up to par. Time at the bench and reloading room are just as important as your equipment. Am I a BR shooter no, but i do shoot alot year round even if its at sage rats, be honest with yourself about your skills and don't be afraid to seek advice i'm always learning something.

I am not sure I have ever seen a 5" 5 shot group at 1k with a factory rifle. I am sure it happens but I have to start seeing them to become a believer. That includes factory "competition" rifles as well than many have brought to matches. I think a lot of guys think a .5 moa rifle at 100 is still a .5 moa rifle at 1k.
At our range, we have put some 1 MOA and less targets at distances from 600 yards and beyond.

Those who believe they have a sub MOA rifle at 1000 yards are invited to come to Morro Bay. There is an 8" round gong at 1000. No rules just hit it.

At our range, we have put some 1 MOA and less targets at distances from 600 yards and beyond.

Those who believe they have a sub MOA rifle at 1000 yards are invited to come to Morro Bay. There is an 8" round gong at 1000. No rules just hit it.
gotta love that, I am going to copy at my range.

Based upon similar scenarios at our 1015 yard, 8' steel, observation indicates that are far more rifles capable of achieving this then there are shooters. On the other hand, and the rationale behind my prior post, is that there are a surprisingly large number of skilled shooters using well set up factory and semi-custom rifles that are very knowledgeable reloaders that can consistently ring that steel...and.....are very accomplished long range hunters with these same rifles.

I bought the Christensen Arms Ridgeline and love it! The carbon fiber wrapped barrel was the determining factor for me, too many advantages there over a heavier steel bull barrel or a pencil barrel. I have it in 300 win mag and I'm shooting 200gr Eld-x's out of them and recoil is no issue. I just sold my Swarovski Z3 that I had on it and bought a Leupold Mark 4 to extend the range. With the Swarovski it was dead deer every time at 600m/656 yards though. Here's two shots I took at 100 this year before deer season just to make sure it was zeroed where I wanted it.

Attachments

• D0FF7241-C01F-4C3E-8877-F5343DCD45BE.jpeg
    D0FF7241-C01F-4C3E-8877-F5343DCD45BE.jpeg
    769.6 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.