First custom rifle questions

Given supply chain issues, unless you have the components in/on hand, be prepared to wait a year (or longer) for your new rifle.

Sadly, most of all the barrel makers have at least a 6 month lead time from when you place your order.

I think, not sure, if you have your gunsmith source all of the parts, the lead time might be less. I tend to believe some 'smiths get to jump the line on the consumer's waiting for actions and barrels. I don't have a problem with that (if it is occurring) since that is their livelihood.

I waited 13 months during the height of COVID for 2 barrels from a manufacturer you'd surly recognize.

The action took 11 months to receive.

Nothing wrong with finding a good donor rifle for it's action and having it trued and blueprinted, a new barrel installed and dropped in the stock or chassis of your choice.

I do not own a 7 PRC but do shoot the 300 PRC. I think the 7 is a great choice. The 7 is not a necked down 300 PRC; the shoulder on the 7 is further back. Plus, I beleive you will get more rounds through the tube with the 7 vs the 300 before you "shoot out" the barrel.

Good luck with your project. And I don't think I'd be too concerned about lead time. I think it is more important to get the components and 'smith/shop that has the reputation and deliver a rifle that will make you happy for a life time.

IMHO trying to put all the parts together yourself is going to take inordinate amounts of time and lots of frustration and more expensive.
^^^^True words!

Assembling an accurate, long range bolt gun is NOT the same as assembling an AR!

To do a true "custom" bolt gun (at least in my mind) with components from various vendors, one needs a machine shop, tools and skills to do the work.

Prefit components for a bolt gun kind of defeats the entire purpose of going down the "custom" lane IMO. You'd be much better off (and undoubtedly happier with the finished product) buying a good quality rifle built by Proof, GAP, Christensen, and others.

IMHO trying to put all the parts together yourself is going to take inordinate amounts of time and lots of frustration and more expensive.

I've found the opposite to be true - if you're not in a hurry, you can actually find some great deals to save some cash. While some gunsmiths may actually have all of the parts available, if they don't, you are at the mercy of the supply chain. For me, it's been easier to source my own components, deliver all parts to the gunsmith and have it assembled.

You are right about the convenience of ordering from a reputable smith and just waiting though. GA Precision builds some very nice rifles.

As others have mentioned, you could go with a Zermatt (or one of many other brands) action, grab a prefit barrel, trigger of your choice, and a manners with mini chassis, a few tools and assemble it yourself.

My last 3 rifles have all been assembled at home and shoot great.

Zermatt TL3 22-250 AI:
D0DF31AA-61EB-4223-80F7-EF43DAE954B1.jpeg

Zermatt TL3 22 Creed:
67AED283-E596-45FF-AA1D-1F3E6E5727EE.jpeg

Terminus Zeus 6 Creed:
C618C6F7-4D60-4FFD-BE6D-122B9107F4E6.jpeg

Everyone needs to make their own decision regarding custom vs factory. Sometimes you just have to scratch an itch and build something exactly like you want. If someone is only looking at getting a good rifle at the best price, custom rifle building is probably not the best path. However, if you want a rifle that you are deeply involved in the design and finished product, nothing beats a full custom. You can source many of the components from some of the fine sponsors of this forum. I used JA Outdoors for the barrel, stock, and suppressor for my build. Great experience in working with them.

I've found the opposite to be true - if you're not in a hurry, you can actually find some great deals to save some cash. While some gunsmiths may actually have all of the parts available, if they don't, you are at the mercy of the supply chain. For me, it's been easier to source my own components, deliver all parts to the gunsmith and have it assembled.

You are right about the convenience of ordering from a reputable smith and just waiting though. GA Precision builds some very nice rifles.

As others have mentioned, you could go with a Zermatt (or one of many other brands) action, grab a prefit barrel, trigger of your choice, and a manners with mini chassis, a few tools and assemble it yourself.

My last 3 rifles have all been assembled at home and shoot great.

Zermatt TL3 22-250 AI:
View attachment 422721

Zermatt TL3 22 Creed:
View attachment 422720

Terminus Zeus 6 Creed:
View attachment 422719
Nice looking rifles. Those Manners stocks?

If you're going to do a 7PRC, read the thread Alex Wheeler started on 'PRC clickers' to ensure your smith uses the right reamer. I really like the design and what the 7PRC offers. I have a GAPrecision built 280AI and just completing another 280AI from Flint Ridge Rifles that I started in Feb'22 but if I was starting my build today I'd be doing the 7PRC vs 280AI.

Good luck with your build and have fun doing it. For me, the chase is 90% of the fun in the custom builds. 👍

I would find a gunsmith whose bread and butter is PRS rifles and build the hunting rifle you need. I use "L3" out of August, Ga. I ask for a competition hunting rifle and he never disappoints me. My .243 and 7mag shoot .03 at 100 yds using ELDM's. I shoot the beanfields and cornfields in SC. The .243 maxes out at 600 yds and the 7mag kill on a whitetail is 1102 yds with a 162gr Amax. I've been to Africa twice for plains game so I use the 180 gr ELDM's. Kudu at 920 yds. I just re-chambered barrel number 5 to a 7x300 win mag. I average 1244 rds per barrel. The caribou in my profile pic was shot with the 162 Amax at 832 yds. It's all about the man behind the reamer and the man behind the rifle.
Good luck on your build.

Hey guys I have never had a full custom rifle built and I am wanting to go ahead on a build soon. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me on.

What is typical turn around time on a custom rifle from a good gunsmith?
How do you select parts or do you just take builders word/experience?
What kind of price range would you guys feel is fair for a full custom?
Can you guys recommend any specific smiths that would be worth a call?
Are there any places that may have custom build rifles on the shelf, almost like a spec rifle?

What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing. I would like to keep the budget $4-$5k tops for the rifle without scope.

Let me know what you guys think and or recommend. Any ideas appreciated.
My only custom I have built to my spec's included a Bordon Accuracy action, Manner stock, Jewel trigger and a Kreieger barrel. It's a 300 Win Mag and I am very happy with it. I think I am more like you then some other guys on the site and would recommend finding a quality smith for your build. You're doing it right, invest your time before you write a check. Best of luck.

Here's the thing, there are several ways to skin this cat, find a gunsmith that will walk you through them. Doing it yourself, not a great idea, not only can be dangerous but you have no support when something does go wrong, and it will. Also believe me when I say screwing a barrel and receiver together is the easiest part of a build, fit, finish and proper function are a whole different animal. Now on to big box store rifle builds, sure you're getting a know product, that you will most certainly pay top dollar for but understand that when that "accuracy" guarantee is made it is made with one load and one load only. If you decide to change powder or bullet, you are on your on. I have seen more big box rifles have major issues and zero after the sale customer support. I keep saying "I" have because I do have a lot of personal experience with these issues. It doesn't need to be an overwhelming or long drawn out process, find someone who will walk you through the process, discuss ammo shortages, reloading, factory options. If they have a problem spending time to discuss all of that, move on until you find someone you are comfortable with and that has proven rifles. Some of the best names out there aren't on this list.

Hey guys I have never had a full custom rifle built and I am wanting to go ahead on a build soon. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me on.

Are there any places that may have custom build rifles on the shelf, almost like a spec rifle?

What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing. I would like to keep the budget $4-$5k tops for the rifle without scope.

With that kind of budget you'll be able to build what you want. I've got 4 custom built guns and I have spent 3to4 without scope. If you can't get someone to help you build a load you aren't gaining nearly as much as you could. i think your smart to build one you can buy ammo commercially for. But if you can't get someone to help you build a load, your leaving a lot on the table. As far as components, i like the Kelby Atlas action, kreiger barrels, jewel triggers, and Stockys Thumbhole stocks. My gunsmith has built about 15 for me over the years and every one of the shot great. Al lot of the guns he built were bench rest competition guns. He has his own range so he built all the loads for them too. He's in central Texas you can PM me if you would like to talk to him. He is a perfectionist from the word go. This picture is the latest gun he built for me

Lots of info for you to work through here and not sure I can offer any more. If you want full custom, go for it. I've got 4 custom rifles and I've built a few myself. Mine don't shoot as well as the customs. For hunting, they work great, but the limitation for me is distance. If I'm looking at a long shot, I trust the custom build more. I have been able to work loads to get better accuracy, but there is a difference.

I saw someone mention finding a smith building PRS builds and I couldn't agree more. I would highly recommend Mark Gordon with Short Action Customs. He builds lots of PRS rifles, but builds solid hunting rifles as well. He's always been very helpful, he's a ex marine with a passion for building rifles and stands behind every build. I've been between 3-4K with my builds so your budget is spot on.

If you're looking for more smiths that those who count on accuracy use, go to the PRS blog and look at most popular gunsmiths. Great place for other info as well.

Recent Posts