First Custom Rifle Concerns

The XM actions and stocks are very hard to come by. What does doing a 7 saum in an XM offer that a SS doesn't in a short action?

I have access to a range that goes to a mile within 20 minutes of my house. This will be my first long range rifle. I plan to practice and shoot as much as it takes to be 100% confident. That distance maybe 600 yards on deer, I'm not sure. What I want is a cartridge capable of it.

I have. He has been a good help. Still undecided.

Wish there was more load data from people on the 7 SST and 7SS. I am looking for accuracy nodes, not max velocity that so many want to give on the internet.

I don't let the short action-long action debate guide my decision. We're talking 3/4 inch and a couple of ounces.

The AG stock I wanted isn't offered in XM so that helped guide my thoughts as well.

I built a 7 saum with. 195 freebore to run the 180s.

Def anti long action
AG stock
CF barrel at 21 inches 1:8.5
Scoped with suppressor and bipod it's right at 9 pounds and a dream to shoot.

Below is shots 8, 9 and 10.

20211022_171310.jpg
20211022_162647.jpg

I'll vote for the saum also as it's next on my list. Slick's set up is awesome

On a side note I completely agree with someone else, build it exactly like you want it even if you have to wait a little while longer.

Last edited:
Go long action and get a Pierce ti and have less weight than a short action for not much more money. Then go with a 30 Sherman and you are golden. Your distance is exactly what I built mine for. I did everything as light as I could and ready to hunt it's under 8lbs keep in mind lighter is harder to shoot long range and also more recoil. I run either a harvester or my salmon River solutions slab brake that really makes it nice to shoot.

7 SS would work. I am not crazy about the Hornady dies (no real reason though).
Remember this is a proprietary system. Rich gets to confirm the dies match the chamber before selling to you. The complaint about Hornady is often over sizing or runout. These are custom cut to your chamber…good stuff.

Also a great round with cheaper dies.
Not to mention the die/chamber issues.
Again, talk to your gunsmith. Explain the concern. He will figure it out.