First Custom Rifle Concerns

I don't let the short action-long action debate guide my decision. We're talking 3/4 inch and a couple of ounces.

The AG stock I wanted isn't offered in XM so that helped guide my thoughts as well.

I built a 7 saum with. 195 freebore to run the 180s.

Def anti long action
AG stock
CF barrel at 21 inches 1:8.5
Scoped with suppressor and bipod it's right at 9 pounds and a dream to shoot.

Below is shots 8, 9 and 10.

View attachment 310201View attachment 310202
Beautiful setup!

I would worry about alot of other things than building on a long action
This is really important. Short actions are just a bit better balanced…that said, long actions offer a lot of benefit. Longer rounds feed better. More powder capacity, allows use of std head size to make a high velocity target.
Std case heads fit 1-2 nore in the mag.

Everyone is different. If you are going custom no matter what I would strongly suggest a different cartridge and a totally different barrel length. I want 17-1800fps on target. For Deer 1000lb and Elk 1500lb on target. There are lots of factory rifles very capable for 30% the cost of custom.

@reelamin

What do you suggest for rifle, cartridge and barrel length then?
Something with a button rifled barrel. Savage, Browning, Tikka in that order. I prefer a threaded 26" barrel as I can add/use or remove a brake. I can go shorter as long as the cartridge generates the muzzle velocity needed. Chambering to do both Elk and Deer would be 7mm RM or 300WM minimum. Reloading can often increase your velocity over factory. I just verified ballistics on my latest Savage in 28N.

Attachments

• Savage 28N.jpg
    Savage 28N.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 95
@reelamin

However, none of that recommendation is what I am looking for. A 26" barrel with a 7" suppressor would be extremely long. A 7 or 300 mag would do you requirements, but a 7 SS does your requirements at the distances I am wanting to shoot with half the powder and at least 30% less recoil.

The 7 Saum is what you are looking for. I have had them in both long and short action and they performed flawlessly with the 180's. Don't believe everything you here or read on the short action. If it's a concern you can build one on a defiance XM action or another custom long action and go that route. You will only be giving up a few ounces of you go with a long action.

Posted some of this in another thread but thought it would apply here as well.

I run 180s on my 7SAUM on a short action. I use an extended mag, and its a custom Stiller action with the extended mag opening. I seat them fairly far out and have little to no issues. 25" barrel on my rig.

Seat depth:
168G Berger VLD Hunting – 2.25 to the Ogive
180G Berger VLD Hunting – 2.25 to Ogive

I'm loading about 15 thousandths off the lands.

With the 180s I get roughly 2870fps running Retumbo in the mid range of my ladder tests with no pressure signs depending on load. At that velocity I usually have a couple of shots touching and one about 1/2" out on a three shot group at 200 yards. So it is shooting well under 1/2 MOA. The only thing I have that shoots better is my 338 Lapua which will cloverleaf every time at 200 (If I'm steady), but its a long heavy barrel and on a heavy chassis.

7SAUM is a great choice. My only complaint is that it took a bit of tweaking to get it to feed well. Short fat cartridges with long VLD projectiles are a bit tricky to feed. Had to go center feed, two in the mag well and one in the chamber is all it will hold.

Maybe worth a read too - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/short-mag-build.283803/

Per your specifications, you want two rifles or compromise. Be more specific as to what you consider long range and also as far as suppressed, does this mean you want to go subsonic?
As a retired gunsmith and gunmaker I will tell you what I built the most of for elk and deer was the 25-06! I don't understand why your shooting at such long ranges but I've shot alot of both in my 70 years of hunting, doubt if I ever shot big game at over 200 yds!

Hmmm... sounds familiar Steve... hahaha. The customer that I built the 7saum for is very happy and that was in a model 7 action... however he's running 160ish bullets.

Have you thought about the 6.8 western? My reamer should arrive shortly.

Maybe ask guys what their col is on the 7ss and saum with the bullets you want. The WSM AI style mags will fit 2.950".

Somebody is gotta using that load combo you mentioned.

@reelamin

However, none of that recommendation is what I am looking for. A 26" barrel with a 7" suppressor would be extremely long. A 7 or 300 mag would do you requirements, but a 7 SS does your requirements at the distances I am wanting to shoot with half the powder and at least 30% less recoil.
As I posted if you want custom go custom. You asked so I gave my opinion. I will go out on a ledge now. It is not possible to push a projectile of the same weight, same velocity, same weight rifle, 30% less recoil, and use half the powder of a 7mm RM or 300WM. Again, if you want a custom absolutely get one in what ever chambering you want and shoot any animal you want at any distance you want. I can't wait to see what you decide get and how it performs.

I would just go with a 7 SAUM & titanium long action. Or the aluminum BAT action. Whatever you do, and I can't recommend it enough, is get an action with a milled in, integrated rail.