First Custom R700 complete!

Was able to shoot it today! Played a bit with H1000 while breaking in the barrel. Nothing special accuracy wise. But it did feel so good when the trigger broke and the gun went BOOM! After shooting and cleaning, I switched to my few fireforming loads of 4831sc. These shot nice. Well under a minute of Angle. Gonna keep shooting and she. The barrel has had a few rounds through it I'll start more development with H1000.

image.jpg

I sure will Rich, of the 30 rounds fired that day and cleaning every shot for 3, then every 3rd shot 3 times, then every 5-10th shot till done. By the end I noticed very little copper fouling. The first few rounds had crazy copper. I was surprised to show pressure signs with 63 gr H1000. It was shooting fast. I set up the crony and got 3220 fps with only my second shot down the barrel. I'll crony it again with a magnetospeed after some more shots down the tube and see if it speeds up much. The H4831sc at 57 gr was pushing the 130 gr VLD's just over 3000 fps. That was expected. But again, one of the first shots from this barrel. It's a 25.5" gain twist barrel. Maybe it won't speed up? either way, I having a lot of fun! The recoil is very similar to a .308. Just a longer pulse. But that same smooth push. I'm gonna load up the rest of my fireforming cases with the 4831 and have some fun trigger time.

I sure will Rich, of the 30 rounds fired that day and cleaning every shot for 3, then every 3rd shot 3 times, then every 5-10th shot till done. By the end I noticed very little copper fouling. The first few rounds had crazy copper. I was surprised to show pressure signs with 63 gr H1000. It was shooting fast. I set up the crony and got 3220 fps with only my second shot down the barrel. I'll crony it again with a magnetospeed after some more shots down the tube and see if it speeds up much. The H4831sc at 57 gr was pushing the 130 gr VLD's just over 3000 fps. That was expected. But again, one of the first shots from this barrel. It's a 25.5" gain twist barrel. Maybe it won't speed up? either way, I having a lot of fun! The recoil is very similar to a .308. Just a longer pulse. But that same smooth push. I'm gonna load up the rest of my fireforming cases with the 4831 and have some fun trigger time.

It is not unusual to get a bunch of copper fouling the first few shots. There is usually a burr where the reamer cut the lands out of the throat. It is good that it cleaned up quickly. That is a good sign. You could get more than normal pressure with the first couple of shots because of the burr. How much gain is cut into your barrel? With the right powder, you should be able to easily reach 3300' with the 130's........Rich

Rich,
It's got 1:16-1:8 gain. It's alot of gain but it's a combo that been proven. Good to know about the higher pressure spike with the first few rounds. I'll fireform my 100 cases with full loads and that should start to work the barrel real nice.
I'm not after super velocity, would rather use a cool burning powder like H1000 and get extended barrel life. That being said, Im sure it won't be long before my curiosity gets the best of me and I see how fast I can push it for just a few rounds.

Rich,
It's got 1:16-1:8 gain. It's alot of gain but it's a combo that been proven. Good to know about the higher pressure spike with the first few rounds. I'll fireform my 100 cases with full loads and that should start to work the barrel real nice.
I'm not after super velocity, would rather use a cool burning powder like H1000 and get extended barrel life. That being said, Im sure it won't be long before my curiosity gets the best of me and I see how fast I can push it for just a few rounds.

Shoot it like ya stole it:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.