First chronograph

Thank you everyone for your input. I just got a used magneto speed v2 off eBay. Can't wait to try it out.

Took it out today and was very impressed with the ease of setup and the use of the unit. The only thing is it did effect POI to the extreme. Could not print on target a 200 yards. However, I expected this and am only using to gather load data and not concerned with accuracy at this point.

Knowing what I know now would I purchase again? Yes.

That's extreme. I've seen it change POI an inch or so. Others have seen no POI shift at all. I suspect it depends a lot on the barrel profile.

I still use an optical chrono because I don't like handloading and shooting more rounds than absolutely necessary when working up a load. The possibility of a POI shift with a magnetospeed means I would have to fire more rounds to get an honest group size and zero the scope. I would rather deal with the optical chrono. Plus I can use an optical chrono to measure velocity down range, which I have done.

I just received my "Sport" today, will not be able to shoot until Thursday, but i am now concerned,

I do not know what would cause the shift in POI so much, unless the bullet was striking or grazing the bayonet, but i am sure there would be marks and he would notice that.

I am building my data on the 338LM, i need the data but also need to get out on the distance targets with it, the 2 are hard to work together.

I will pay attention to the set up on the barrel and see what happens

V/R
M.Bird

Took the Magnetospeed Sporter out again today with a couple of other rifles and found the POI did NOT change.

I think on the rifle where I did have extreme change may have been the way I had it mounted, which was too far forward. That is just speculation, but another test at the end of the week will verify.

All in all, I am very pleased with the product and would purchase again with no reservation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.