First build questions

Elnicko

Looks like Manners is coming out with a new long range handgun stock and it got me thinking that I might need one mostly for coyotes but I'd like the option for deer/antelope. I've been doing some research and think I've got it figured out. I'm in CA so I can only build a single shot and have to use non-lead bullets. Here's what I was thinking for the build:
Manners stock
Carbonsix 16" barrel sendero profile
Stiller Predator single shot action, left handed
ADL triggerguard
Timney or triggertech trigger
Hawkins 2 port brake
Scope TBD

As far as what to chamber it in I was thinking either 7mm-08 with 139gr LRX, 6 Creedmoor, 243AI or 6XC with either 95gr LRX or 88gr Hammer Hunters. I'm really open to any suggestion as long as it will fit in a short action. If there's anything I missed or any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for your help!

Before you decide on a caliber, do some research on which calibers handle short barrels best. They are definately not all the same

Any of the medium/SA cartridges (6.5x47 Lapua, XC, BRA, Dasher, GT, Creed, 308 Win family of cartridges) will easily kill deer/antelope to 300 yards and further with a 15-16 inch barrel.
Your choice whether you go with a 6mm, 25, 6.5 or 7mm.
Even LA cartridges will work in a short action that is a single shot.
I used to have a center-grip XP-100 in 338 Lapua Improved.
Even the 6.5-284 family, 06 family or 06AI family of cartridges will work fine in a 16" barrel, as would the Short Action cartridges.
You do not need that much horsepower for what you want though.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm leaning towards a 6 Creedmoor with the 7-08 a close second

0C195F9D-9E4E-4475-B68B-E15D798C6426.jpeg
0C195F9D-9E4E-4475-B68B-E15D798C6426.jpeg

Looks like Manners is coming out with a new long range handgun stock and it got me thinking that I might need one mostly for coyotes but I'd like the option for deer/antelope. I've been doing some research and think I've got it figured out. I'm in CA so I can only build a single shot and have to use non-lead bullets. Here's what I was thinking for the build:
Manners stock
Carbonsix 16" barrel sendero profile
Stiller Predator single shot action, left handed
ADL triggerguard
Timney or triggertech trigger
Hawkins 2 port brake
Scope TBD

As far as what to chamber it in I was thinking either 7mm-08 with 139gr LRX, 6 Creedmoor, 243AI or 6XC with either 95gr LRX or 88gr Hammer Hunters. I'm really open to any suggestion as long as it will fit in a short action. If there's anything I missed or any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for your help!
I've got rifles in 6xc and 6 creedmoor. Spitting images of each other to me. Both are great on deer and coyotes.

I like the Manners stock, but they are very pricey. An email I got from Manners this morning shows the price for the standard shell as $559. Not too bad, but still a little high. If you want the Elite shell, add $159 to the base price. $718 is a little much for a pistol stock. You can get it with or without the magazine cut out. You can't order it online, you must give them a call.

I think I decided on the 6XC for now. I'm going to have a SwitchLug installed so I can change calibers if desired down the road. I ended up getting in on the group buy Manners did so the price wasn't terrible. Now I just have to wait for the stock to be finished

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.