First SP Handgun

Rodneyltd

Hunted with a Freedom Arms 454 for a while and want to try out a SP handgun for some longer range steel and paper (to 700 yards) along with some hunting. This forum has been tremendously helpful with all the great information shared. Thinking of ordering an MOA in 7mm WSM as a start. Using their brake as well. Is this a bad place to start for a SP handgun? Other sugggestions?

Last edited:
The MOA is a good place to start and the 7mm WSM is a excellent long range SP round You are going to want a 8 or 9 twist barrel and shoot the 168 Berger or the 180 Berger bullets are a good place to start.Other suggestions part. A XP-100 or custom bolt gun is also a good platform.

I've got a 7wsm pistol built on a savage target action. I love it. Its a whole lot heavier than an MOA. I used an MOA in 6.5x.284 for a while and loved it, but my dad wanted it back. My 7wsm is a 9 twist and shoots 168's great. There iswas a bit of a wait on them but I heard Rich was catching up. My dad also has one that's a 7mm on the 376 steyr case, it pushes the 168 berger around 2600fps as opposed to the wsm's 2800+. It feels a whole lot longer.

Don't forget about the HS Precision, and you can get it in any of the WSM's or SAUM's
nmhunter
DSCN0110.jpg

I think you will be very pleased with your MOA. The 7WSM will be a great long range caliber. Congrats and best of luck with your MOA.

The fat barrel 15in. pisrols that Richard Mertz is making handle very well. The lesson that 5 MOAs have taught me is that you must fit your brass well. As we raise the bar for performance and results, we learn about uniform brass. We all know about that at this stage of life. You will be very happy with your new MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.