Firing pin off center

BLK

Still struggling to get a group with my 243 Ruger MARK II. I noticed that the firing pin hits the primer way off center. It hits the same each time but it is definitely way off the center of the primer. Could this affect accuracy? Still at 2" at 100 yards.

I have to submit to that one. My 10-22 doesn't group real well either.
Hmmmmmm?

The late Creighton Audette did a piece on this some years back for The Rifleman, and it's been reprinted in some other NRA publications since. Don't recall all the details, but his conclusion was that it wasn't really that much of a factor in accuracy. Surprising, but Creighton was nothing if not a stickler for scientific accuracy in his testing.

I'd say the accuracy problem rests elsewhere, and this is one of the least of the problems in this particular case.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin---I think I remember reading that. Speedy sent me a bunch of scanned articles that he wrote. Very smart man!!!

The NRA used to have quite a collection of tech guys writing for them; Hatcher, Audette, Bill Davis and a host of others. They still have some good ones, but man, those guys were giants in the field. Solid scientific backgrounds, inquisitive natures and intellectual integrity in reporting their findings.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.