2 via 4" off center

WVRifleman

Just curious, been shooting over 42 years, see some shooting the targets at 100 yards that someone is shooting at 2:00 by 4" off center at 100 yards or other.

Instead, at least 12:00 center 2" high or, dead center at hundred yards with MOA ETC, and claiming their rifle is set to go.

I never could be satisfied with that of the former.

Are shooters just doing that to show bullet consistency or are they really happy with where the projectile is hitting and, if so, why?

Thank for the replies...

Attachments

• Lou-1.jpg
    Lou-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 05-17-11-04-Beeman-P1-air-pistol-HN-Match-Pistol-pellets-target.jpg
    05-17-11-04-Beeman-P1-air-pistol-HN-Match-Pistol-pellets-target.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 54
I don't adjust for point of impact until after I have established a load. It is better to not have the bullets impacting on the spot you are aiming at when working up loads as it blows out the aiming point. When working up a load point of impact can move around a bit as you search for OCW, you don't want to adjust anything until you see the impact nodes as you adjust powder charge. So I always adjust for center after it is all finished.
gun)

Just shooting for groups. Usually during load development. I shoot 3-5 at a target, and then adjust reticle to center of group accordingly.

First 3 shot group

Adjust to POI, then shot this 3 shot group

Are shooters just doing that to show bullet consistency or are they really happy with where the projectile is hitting and, if so, why?

Thank for the replies...

Yes, just shooting for consistency and then make the final scope adjustments afterward.

I know this for sure because the 300 RUM target you posted just so happens to be mine. Was actually aiming at the top point of the diamond. :D

Okay, that makes sense to me now. I don't reload so that explains a lot. Thanks fellas

Aim small miss small. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.