Fine tuning loads lee factory crimp die

i know no one using a 0.001 scale. lots of 0.02 and a few 0.01.
no 0.001's
adding bs to a basically valid comment ruins its use.

You are correct...I hit too many zeros and a 1 instead of a 2. I have a fx120i that measures in .02 Gr increments. Cell phone posting does suck but I wasn't trying to add BS just should have proof read my post before posting.

You are correct...I hit too many zeros and a 1 instead of a 2. I have a fx120i that measures in .02 Gr increments. Cell phone posting does suck but I wasn't trying to add BS just should have proof read my post before posting.

I shoot better than I type or spell too. It's a shooting is a wiser use of available brain cells don t sweat it.

I use a light crimp using the Lee factory crimp die on my 6.5 creed. It really helps when your brass is getting close to its end life of holding a consistent burn. But the crimp will change your pressures so you have to work up. Don't just crimp a existent load thinking it will be same pressure.

Crimp dies are great for long range AR10 and Browning BAR loads where the bullet could be pushed in deeper due to the violent recoil and chambering actions but the best bolt action rifles shoot better with the FL bushing sizing die.

There was some testing done by the guys who developed the "consistent crimp" press handle. It is basically a torque wrench that replaces your press handle and allows for repeatable crimping force. Their testing on AR15 demonstrated a "sweet spot" for crimping force and group size - not enough crimp = larger groups, too much crimp = progressively worse groups particularly when crimp force is so high that bullets deform.
Crimp force can be used to tune a load similar to adjusting seating depth, the trick is getting repeatable results, meaning case prep is verY important (trim length and work hardening).

be
i have 2 ar10s. i use .003 on the std ar10t and .002 on the custom target. TESTING shows those bullets do not move.
Crimp dies are great for long range AR10 and Browning BAR loads where the bullet could be pushed in deeper due to the violent recoil and chambering actions but the best bolt action rifles shoot better with the FL bushing sizing die.

om an ar15 where you cannot get the bullet near the lands ??
some links to DATA ?

There was some testing done by the guys who developed the "consistent crimp" press handle. It is basically a torque wrench that replaces your press handle and allows for repeatable crimping force. Their testing on AR15 demonstrated a "sweet spot" for crimping force and group size - not enough crimp = larger groups, too much crimp = progressively worse groups particularly when crimp force is so high that bullets deform.
Crimp force can be used to tune a load similar to adjusting seating depth, the trick is getting repeatable results, meaning case prep is verY important (trim length and work hardening).

what do you think of the lee factory crimp dies. Have you tested them with what results. What variables in the reloading process you find have the greatest impact on ES and SD.
I crimp 110 V MAX in my 270, and the accuracy is very good. Bear in mind, the V MAX I use have a cannelure for the crimp.

what do you think of the lee factory crimp dies. Have you tested them with what results. What variables in the reloading process you find have the greatest impact on ES and SD.

I think a lot of responders are RUDE... Either ignore the post or comment! Don't harass the guy for asking a question.

I think some folks might be overlooking the point that heavy recoiling/lightweight rifles could push your bullet back and cause accuracy problems. I find more consistent results on my LabRadar chrony with the Lee FCD. I show less SD/ES than without on my 300WSM in my Sako Bavarian when I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I'm getting a 10-shot SD of 8 fps with 63.0 grains of Reloader 17 behind Berger 168gr Hybrid Hunting bullets. I've also had trouble over the years with bulging shoulders on 7mm Rem Mag with too heavy of a taper crimp and bullets moving back in the case of shells in the magazine with a lighter crimp. Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth right.

Crimping can be critical on repeaters. On a trip to Africa I had oal growth with o 416 rem of the rounds sitting in the mag box for 3 shots are so

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.