Finally My First Elk!

Nice shooting Riley! Nothing more fun than killing an elk! Now that you are a man its time to grow a beard!
Thanks, I would grow one but at my school you can get suspended for having one :rolleyes:. lol

The quarters are huge!! Before this is ive only seen deer and antelope quarters. We have the meat aging in the garage, gotta to keep the outdoor cats from getting in :)....................:cool:gun)

i did a little looking in the deformed leg and found a bullet frag that weighed 3.7 grains, no lead attached as far is i can tell and jacket thickness was .021'', i didnt do a good thourough search but there is a roughly .284'' hole into her leg bone with no exit...... I will do some more searching later.

heres a pic of her leg.

Attachments

• 101_4825[1].jpg
    101_4825[1].jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 111
Riley,
Congrats on the score, and a nice shot too! It is GREAT to see your interest, in real life activities, rather then " cyber hunts". That seems to be more the norm nowadays, which is a shame. Your dad must be proud!!!! Good job! All the best in the New Year!

Really? You see it somewhat often??
Ya you'll see it a lot if you cut a lot, my buddy went three years in a row killing an elk that had been previously shot.
You see two thing commonly, bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder and it's a mass of healed bone and gristly scare tissue or they'll have the tops of the spine shot of. I also see them when they come down on the fields, you see far more shoulder shot elk limping down than anything else. When you take apart that elk shoulder look at the size of the ball socket on the blade down the the next joint, and a cow will be light compared to a bull!

Ya you'll see it a lot if you cut a lot, my buddy went three years in a row killing an elk that had been previously shot.
You see two thing commonly, bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder and it's a mass of healed bone and gristly scare tissue or they'll have the tops of the spine shot of. I also see them when they come down on the fields, you see far more shoulder shot elk limping down than anything else. When you take apart that elk shoulder look at the size of the ball socket on the blade down the the next joint, and a cow will be light compared to a bull!
The bullet went into her leg but didnt exit, i am 99% sure of that. It is a large mass of tough strong scar tissue just like you described. I saw your thread "why i dont shoulder shoot elk" and the point of the shoulder is insane!! While she was laying down after the shot i followed the bone down until i got to the point and its about the size of a tennis ball. I am going to keep the shoulder blades for bullet testing, much better than wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.