Finally going to Alaska

NT whistler

Well the good woman and I have decided to head to Canada and Alaska for 3 months from August. We will be in Haines and Haines Junction Alaska app 1st week of September and would love to get out for a hunt (or fish) with any of the locals. We are from the Northern Territory in Australia and my wife works as a remote area nurse while I have been working as a Fishing Guide and ranger for most of the last 20 years. If any over there would like to put up with a couple of Aussies it would be very much appreciated.
Whistler

I betcha have a ball.....just watch out for the furry black mambas.....bad critters........and mosquitos numbering in the millions will swoop in and fly you off to drain you of blood at their leisure.....otherwise...picturesque......lol...

Well the good woman and I have decided to head to Canada and Alaska for 3 months from August. We will be in Haines and Haines Junction Alaska app 1st week of September and would love to get out for a hunt (or fish) with any of the locals. We are from the Northern Territory in Australia and my wife works as a remote area nurse while I have been working as a Fishing Guide and ranger for most of the last 20 years. If any over there would like to put up with a couple of Aussies it would be very much appreciated.
Whistler
Best of luck to you and the Miss.Who knows,y'all might like it and stay longer.

Just as a suggestion, it might be a good idea to check the salmon run timing to see what will be present in the creeks and streams where you'll be. It has been my personal experience that the fishing can be fast and furious during the runs and more difficult at other times. I would consider fresh-water fishing early in your trip and maybe salt-water after the salmon runs peter out. There is good information on the Alaska F&G site, sometimes by specific river, creek or stream, and by species. Those statistics are compiled over a very long period. I have found them quite accurate for salmon availability.

And if you can find some salmon spawning grounds, there is a high probability of finding trout engourging themselves on eggs. Big trout. BIG TROUT. And spawning salmon also makes for a healthy buffet for brown bears. Big brown bears. BIG BROWN BEARS.

scan0133.jpg
Have a fun time on your vacation, live there for two years 1963-65 was there for the big earthquake thanks to uncle sam and the Army, was in transportation.
ln the picture i'm on the right. Wonderful State. Enjoy.

And watch out for the snow snakes, they're easy to spot this time of the year being there white, just joking that's what you were told as a newbie to the state.

Last edited:
Make sure you access the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game - there is more there to read than you will be able to finish between now and your arrival. If interested in hunting best hop right to it as hunting in Alaska in the main starts in Aug and is essentially over by the end of Sept. For an August arrival the salmon season will be tapering off so again best get right at it. Haines is a beautiful area. You should have a good trip as most of the tourists will be gone by then.

I hope you have a blast! You are going from dodging Crocs, brown snakes, and funnel web spiders, to trying not to be dinner for a furry Volkswagen.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.