Finally a TSX Load

Shane Lindsey

After starting to lose faith that I would ever get this below an inch, I finally found the seating depth.

It's a 270 Win factory BDL built in 1978 that I picked up from of friend of mine.

270 Win
Remington brass
130 Gr TSX boat tail
CCI LR primers
57.5 Gr H4831
Seated at a COAL of 3.18" (.04 out of the lands

Hope this helps anyone else that is getting frustrated with the TSX (now only if I can get the 300 WM to do the same thing).

Shane

Attachments

• TSX Load.jpg
    TSX Load.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
Looks like you have a good load there, i am surprised you had trouble getting them to shoot. You should start at LEAST .030 off the lands and i found that they like it around the .050-.1 range.

Riley

I am also surprised that it took you so long. Most of my guns like the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets. Here in what my Remington Model 700 CDL wil do with a 140 Barnes TTSX at 100 yards.

It is good to see your 270 Win shoot the 130 that good. I have a Vanguard in 270 Win and I have not been able to get it to shoot the 130 TSX up to my expectations. I have become partial to the TTXS over the standard TSX. What are you going to hunt with this load?

Attachments

• 280 2.JPG
    280 2.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 61
Well over here on the left coast there are certain areas that require lead free ammo, so with that said, deer for sure. Haven't hunted pigs, but I think this will be effective medicine. I had thought about elk, not sure if this is enough. I have a decent load with 150 Bergers. I like the 270 Win a lot, I have a lot of confidence in the rifle. I have hunted for several years, just only connected once. Any advice is appreciated.
Shane

I am partial to the TTSX because they will open up quicker than the TSX and this makes them better for deer and other thin skinned animals. Your TSX will take an elk even though it may not be ideal. I have shot the 140's more than the 130's out of my 270's and the 280 Rem that shot the target that I posted.

So I finally get this thing tuned and went out and picked up a couple boxes of 130 Grainers today. Got home and started to load them up and they are significatly different in the ogive. Has anyone had this same expirience? Have you noticed a difference in seating depth as a result? When did they change?

Any insight would be helpful...
Thanks,
Shane

I have read that Barnes has changed the bullets some what, may be to improve the B.C.. I have not had experience with this, however, if I were loading the new bullets I would start with them the same distance off the lands and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.