Filling in site holes

etisll40

Is it possible to full in holes drilled into a barrel for sites. I have a gun where as the sites were removed and I have the gun scoped now. I was wondering if the holes can be filled in sanded and re-blued without messing up the guns accuracy but improve the cosmetics of the barrel?

Any experience and directions greatly appreciated.

Thx

minature socket head set screws do a nice job on unwanted/uneeded tappings on any firearm.

I'd suggest brazing them but with a re-blue, you'll still have a halo around the circumference of the original hole.

Here's a video produced by Midwayusa on how to fill in screw holes. It's pretty neat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaSf9GhEkM]Gunsmithing - How to Remove Old Screw Holes from a Firearm - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome, Awesome, thanks, I watched another one that way more sophisticated and he rust blued it. This is the one for me. I'm just looking at a basic cold blue for cosmetic improvement. I can do this!

Thank You

There is another way that is revisable if you ever want to sell the rifle.

Talk to any Gunsmith, and he will have a sack full of the screws that the factory uses (Blued or
even gold)to fill site base holes and they are easy to install and look good if not marred. Most will give you a couple free.

This would save you from refinishing the barrel/action.

J E CUSTOM

Geeze guys, ya'll go to way too much work. . .:D

Simply fill 'em w/JB Weld or some such stuff. Super easy. Super quick. And doesn't decrease the rig's value all that much. . .:D

I just use the positive stop version of these:

PLUG SCREW KIT | Brownells

and leave them alone. I've not found a reason to try and smooth them out to make them invisible, as it's hard to see them once installed. And, it's reversible if you ever wish to reinstall sights.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.