filling a screw hole to be re drilled.

pat86004

I recently got a bell and carlson medalist for my savage 110. I took it to a gunsmith to get the rear trigger guard screw hole drilled as it didn't have a hole, they drilled the hole large enough that the screw isn't actually threading into anything, I can pull it out by hand. I want to refill the hole with something and drill it out again to make I secure. I figured it would be better to take it to someone with a drill press so it wouldn't get screwed up......lesson learned. I was thinking either some kind of 2 part epoxy or a fiberglass resin. Any suggestions would be great.

I don't know squat about savage actions/stocks.

However, I know tons about fixing dumb things.:D

If that screw doesn't screw into action metal, which I don't think it does, and only holds one side of the trigger guard, any of the steel putty, 5 minute epoxy type stuff will work.

Simply drill, centered of course :D (another of the things I don't do correctly most of the time) a hole of proper diameter and screw'r together.

I have a fairly expensive custom build that for the front of the trigger guard I simply cut the head off of a screw and glued it into the hole in the guard.

Looks great and saves time when taking it apart for cleaning.....

It does not screw into action metal, just into a little fiberglass. I will pick something up today to fill the hole in with. Does anyone have a suggestin on a particular brand?

O'Reilies, AutoZone or what ever auto store has a rack full of the stuff.

I find myself going back to the silver tube of Quick Steel putty.

Simply slice a bit off, about what you think you'll need.

Knead it, consider using nitrile gloves, until it starts to warm.

It will begin to set up quickly once it starts to warm.

Stuff as much of the stuff in the hole as you can.

Wet your finger to smooth it.

Let it set over night before drilling.

If the screw is a wood screw type select a drill size that will achieve the best thread fit but choose so the drill is no larger than the shank of the screw.

A pointed screw in a cylindric hole make thread fit a compromise.

Loctite sells a product that maybe what you are after. It's sort of like an aluminum bedding compound, but a little stronger. Pretty easy to work with, and drills and taps very well.
gary

I fixed something like that on my medalist. The previous owner went a little crazy with the screwdriver and stripped out the hole. I used a piece of small tubing and threaded it for a machine screw and epoxy it in the stock. Your talking the rear trigger guard screw correct?.
I was going to use some devcon putty and filling the hole and screwing the screw into the uncured putty and wait for it to set up.

Pat, had the same occurrence with a B & C stock for my Mark V Weatherby. Ordered it this past July and received it in October, (probably because of the color). Went to dry fit and no foreward hole for the trigger guard screw. Fearing sending it back would take another 3 months, I dug the threaded sleeve from an old Mark V Tupperware stock and epoxied it in. What's with B & C, the same missing on a friend's stock as well. QC isn't there?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.