Filled my buck tag and got some 215 berger data.

barnesuser28

I filled my buck tag on saturday, I picked him off at 135 yards walking along the sunflowers with his nose to the ground. He stopped for a second and I let the shot ring, from the 30/375 S.I., I heard the smack of the impact and I saw him run into the sunflowers. After about 10 minutes we followed his blood trail for about 70 yards where he exited the sunflowers and crossed the road and laid down up against a haybale and expired. In total he went about 130 yards. We took a couple pictures and went to work. My Dad said he took a step just as i shot so the round hit a little far back but it still got the back of the lungs and the liver. His stomach was hanging out of the exit hole but it wasnt punctured. The entrance hole inside the ribcage was about 1/2-3/4" so the bullet was starting to expand by the time it went through the hide and ribcage. The exit was about the size of my iPhone 5 (thats roughly 5.5"x2.75" for royinidaho's sake :D )

Very little blood shot on either side. Only some rib meat was damaged, which we dont keep anyway. He will be made into brats, our family goes through them like crazy.

Great Buck! Thanks for sharing. I get a smile on my face every time I see you post on this forum! So nice to see the young bucks, our future, getting so into hunting and LR!

Congrats on your success. That exit wound looks like a howitzer impact but your shot placement seems to have saved the good stuff for brats, kinda like my most recent pig hunt shot placement. "Run piggy, run" :)

Holy smokes... Did you bring your spelunking gear so you could go down into that cavity and take a good look around in that wound channel!! Great job. Just got 400 of the 215s in a moth or two ago and haven't out them to the test yet. Thanks for sharing your post as your results are very encouraging!

Well done!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.