field tripod

Bob S.

What tripods are you guys using in the field for a spotting scope? I just got a bushnell shooters stand tripod and I am disapointed in it. The head wobbles back and forth much to easily and I don't think it would work well in the field on uneven ground.I am willing to carry a little extra weight for a usable tripod. I don't want to break the bank in getting one and I may modify one of my camera tripods to do the job.

If you notice in this picture I have mine mounted on a older Bushnell spotting scope tripod which is pretty stable. I am looking for another one but can't seem to find one.
normal_Celestron1.jpg

This one looks like a copy and says it is metal but not sure of the stablity? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1
Why don't you buy one Cowboy and let me know how stable it is? There are 98 availble! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SS - that looks just like my new bushnell stand. Does the head wobble at all? Mine wobbles against the inner spring that provides tension for the micro adjust up and down function.Maybe I just got one that was defective.

I use a Manfrotto 051 Nat3 with 141 RC head. It is big heavy and very good. The green coating looks good and is said to be weather resistant. A lighter model is available. In the US they are marketed under "Bogen" and the model numbers are different I think.

There is an accessory center pole that splits to make a short pole so that the tripod legs can be splayed out more and get the tripod and scope lower.

david.

I have 2 bigger tripods for my Big Eyes that both work great. 1 is a heavy duty Slick, and the other is the bigger Leupold. I'm backpacking the Big Eyes, plus Leupold tripod in to some areas for coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.