Tripod

brandon327

Can anyone recommend a good tripod? Preferably under $100. I bought a vortex high country and it is a piece. Looking for one for a spotting scope.

Manfrotto makes pretty good tripods. I like the carbons but they're pricier. The aluminum ones are pretty decent though and quite a bit cheaper. $100 for a good tripod will probably be a stretch though.

Manfrotto makes pretty good tripods. I like the carbons but they're pricier. The aluminum ones are pretty decent though and quite a bit cheaper. $100 for a good tripod will probably be a stretch though.
I bought a a Monfrotto...for my spotting camera. It's aluminium, and was about 90.00. Middle of the road, I thought, price wise. Cannot in good conscious recommend it. Wind makes it vibrate something fierce. The mount creeps when I try to tighten it on target. I keep it for indoor use.

I run a btx on a 290 carbon as well as 15x swaros. I like it with my outdoorsmans head. Buddy had a 290 aluminum that was decent too. I do think they make some junk also. That's why I'm thinking a good unit for $100 might be hard to find. And manfrotto may not be the company to go to in that price range.

The Vortex Pro GT is a re-branded Velbon Sherpa with a PH-157Q head. It is not an Outdoorsmans tripod by any measure, but for 199 you get a solid tripod tall enough for most guys to stand full height and a quality, smooth panhead. I run my Sherpa with a Jim White head and have never felt like I lacked stability.

Or just go full tilt and get the Outdoorsmans tripod with a Jim White or Outdoorsmans head lol - what is $750 between friends lol.

The Outdoorsmans Tripod is first class... But I have also had good success with the SLIK Pro series. They are reasonable and do a good job of supporting any sport optics. I prefer a pan head to a ball head, but that just personal preference. There are lots of good ones on the market. Using ANY tripod and tripod adapter will increase the numbers of critters you find while glassing.

Innorel will be hard to beat at your price point.
55c works well for spotting scopes and comes with a ball head.
The 90c is solid as a rock and works well for rifles.

I bought a used Manfrotto 190XPROB on eBay from a photographer. It was a little dinged up, so perfect for hunting and dragging through the dirt. I bought a Manfrotto XPRO fluid head to go on top. I run a vortex razor hd on it. No complaints on this setup.

The Outdoorsmans Tripod is first class... But I have also had good success with the SLIK Pro series. They are reasonable and do a good job of supporting any sport optics. I prefer a pan head to a ball head, but that just personal preference. There are lots of good ones on the market. Using ANY tripod and tripod adapter will increase the numbers of critters you find while glassing.

Totally agree about the head. A ball head is fine to set on one spot at the range, but if glassing, a panning style fluid head is the way to go.

The Vortex Pro GT is a re-branded Velbon Sherpa with a PH-157Q head. It is not an Outdoorsmans tripod by any measure, but for 199 you get a solid tripod tall enough for most guys to stand full height and a quality, smooth panhead. I run my Sherpa with a Jim White head and have never felt like I lacked stability.

Or just go full tilt and get the Outdoorsmans tripod with a Jim White or Outdoorsmans head lol - what is $750 between friends lol.

I have the OD tripod and the Jim White head and have never looked back. Great setup!

I picked up a manfrotto 290 with a fluid head from Best Buy. They have them on sale for $149 right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.