field results with Swift .224 Scirroco II's?

tresmon

So for now My E. Tn deer rifle is my match grade AR with mildot optics.
18min scope base, blah blah.

Since TN legalized .22 cal on deer, I have been having a ball with my AR.
So far I'm 5 shots for 4 quick clean ethical kills. (one deer was Shot with Hornady Tap factory loads and did not do well at all. Come to find out TAP loads are designed for LEO snipers so they will not have shoot through situations.) A quick follow up shot did the deed.

The 4 quick clean kills were with hand-loaded Sierra Game-kings 65grns. running about 2900 fps. Furthest deer yet was 313 yds out of a 16" bbl.
Deer ran 40 yards (straight towards me) and crashed hoofs up without a twitch. I just can't understand how those little Sierras drop deer so hard 7 fast. It's a "see it to believe it deal."

I guess I got off the subject...

So any who- Now I've switched to a 20" SS match 7 twist bbl. I was going to try 70 grain Barnes tsx, but found Swift Sciroccos II's - is a poly tipped boat tail 75 grn. with a really high bc. Cheaper than Barnes too.

This is the heaviest GAME bullet I can find for .224. Any body have real world results with them?

Thanks,
Tres- 2nd post

Not with the .224s but lots of experience with Scirocco IIs. The 30 cals and the 7mms are very accurate, expand well at low velocities and hold together well at high velocities. The only thing I would watch if I were you were the pass throughs. I also doubt that you'll have so many bang-flops as you will with the Sierras. My experience with the Sierras is that they're probably coming apart and delivering all of their energy into the deer. I would expect the Sciroccos to pass through (at least most of the time). On the other hand, you're going to get better penetration from the Sciroccos and don't have to worry about penetration on straight on shoulder shots.

Thanks for the info. To my surprise the 65 Game Kings have all held together and retained more than half their weight. (MV of 2900/2950fps)

The 313 yd shot punched through the near shoulder blade, meat, organs cracked the far side blade (as was deflected) and exited!
I was/ am flabber gasted.

Another 40 yd whitetail quartering to me: the bullet punched through the center of a rib, traveled the entire length of the abdom cavity, and went 95% through the rear ham on the opposite side. Bullet held together amazing.

For the price accuracy and performance- if Sierra would produce a 75 grain or even better a length tolerant 80 grn Game king I'd nver shoot anything different on medium game.

Thats too bad to hear about shoot throughs... I will try them anyway...

no field results but I tried to shoot them in a custom 223wssm 1/8 and just couldnt get them to shoot,I have since go back to the 80 berger, I know its not a "hunting" bullet but I am sure the 6 hogs and 4 lopes and 7 deer will beg to differ as they all fell within a 30 yards of being hit, ranges from about 75yrds to 480

Jared

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.