Swift Scirocco 11 terminal results

mike33

Im leaving in 2 weeks for Co. 3rd rifle for elk and mule deer. My back up gun is a 25/284 ultra lite. I did some testing and using the 100 grain swift scirocco 11 at 3450 vel. Was wondering if anyone had used these and the terminal results were. Had a friend tell me it might punch a hole with the heavy jacket and i would be doing a lot of tracking. I already had a custom knob from Kenton ind. sitting on my new zeiss. My main rifle is a 338 edge but taking this for back up only.
Mike

I have heard many times on here from others that the scirocco is one of the best bullets once it leaves the barrel. It expands well and holds together well too. There will probably be more who sound out about it and have much more to offer and with much more experience.

It's been awhile since I used Scirrocco's (no fault of the bullet), and found them very reliable. Shot the 180 .30 calibers into hog meat, bone, and hide at magnum velocities, point blank and couldn't destroy them.
Recovered one from a big bodied Canadian mule deer, fired at 600 yards expanded to just under an inch diameter. Good weight retention-can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but it's downstairs and if it's important to you I'll weight it.

Just recovered a bullet from a jug filled with water. 25/284 vel. 3450 100 grainer bullet blew in jug and weighed 93 grains. Dont think ill have any trouble.
mike

I use the 130's in my 270WSM and they are great. Recovered on from a steep quartering shot on a deer. Huge expansion and still weighed 117gr. Dropped in his tracks.

Scirocco II is very expensive bullet, and the copper fouling is more than gilding metal bullets. However, for 10 rounds in a smooth barrel the copper fouling is acceptable and that is more shooting than any big game hunting would require. I use a 75 grain Hornady HPBT match bullet of the same weight and almost the same BC as a practice round as it hits at almost exactly the same spot on target. The cost is about 1/3 of a Scirocco II. Since no need to rezero, I can carry a mag of each round for my CZ 527 Varmint in .223 Rem. Practice on prairie dogs with Hornady Match, then switch to Scirocco II come big game hunting season.

The 1:8 twist rate is not necessary if you shoot at high altitude. I do just fine in Montana with a 1:9 twist rate, but max accuracy is achieved with very close to a max load of IMR 4895. My rifle and load achieves a 0.6 MOA at 200 yards at 1000 meters altitude or above.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.